I Trust You

Chapter Forty-Three: I Trust You

~~~

The house is a lot bigger and emptier than I remembered. Yes, for majority of my time here, I have been neglected and ignored, but I had never truly been left alone.

The house had always been filled the scent of aunt Natasha's cooking and the sound of Ben's party which I wasn't invited to. Funnily, I find myself missing those days. At least, I didn't have to worry about broken friendships and murder.

With a sigh, I take off my backpack and stare at it for a moment, a sad smile on my face as I remember the day Cherry handed the bag over to me. She didn't even know me then. She had absolutely no reason to be kind to me, but she was. She always had been.

I shut the door behind me and walk deeper into the living room, taking note of the thin layer of dirt that has started to form due to days of neglect. I plop myself on the couch and erupt into a brief coughing fit due to the dust that spreads around.

Upon sobering up, I allow myself reflect on the past couple of days and what I want with my life. I have made the most amazing friends in the world. Cherry is the sweetest pea, and while Nat is somewhat cold and makes threats and seems to be the perfect suspect, she does have her moment.

Even if she did hurt Ben and Trixie, I'll have to admit it was from a place of love... Or was it? She could have killed Trixie because of the whole incident with the rats, but Ben? She and Ben barely ever crossed paths.

Perhaps she's also the secret admirer? I know for a fact that she's into poetry... But that makes no sense. She cannot be into me. She seems way too invested in Tiffany... I shouldn't be trying to pin this on Nat. She's a nice person.

Then there's the overly dramatic and emotional Audrey. I don't think she has the ability to hurt a fly. She freaks out at everything. She cannot be a murderer. My friends are innocent and I've been terrible for making them feel like suspects.

I have to make it up to them. But how? Perhaps I could –

I am drawn away from my trail of thoughts by the light knocking on the knock. It sounds low, almost uncertain and I have to listen carefully to ascertain myself that I am not just imagining things.

The knocking repeats and with furrowed brows, I get up and cautiously make my way to the door, wondering who would be visiting and how they knew I was home. It can't be Sam as he would usually just appear out of nowhere. Perhaps it is the girls.

With a huge smile on my face, I swing the door open, but my smile falters and falls when I see it isn't Cher, neither is it Nat nor Drey.

"Wow. Is that how much you don't want to see me?" He asks me, his expression somewhat sad at my reaction and I am quick to shake my head.

"No, no, no. God no! Nothing like that, Ash. I just thought you were someone else and I was- I just wanted –"

"Hey, it's okay, Bells. I'm just messing with you." Asher Reid smiles at me, revealing indents on both his cheeks and my heart decides to do multiple cartwheels.

God! How can a human be so perfect?

He's standing in a white turtle neck top on plain jeans, his ginger hair shaggy as usual and his eyes so full of warmth. In his hands, a small box in a gift wrap and I scrunch my brows in curiosity as to what may be in it.

"Can I come in?" He raises a brow at me and my cheeks flush with colour as I step aside and nod my head.

"Of course! Of course, you can." I chuckle nervously as he dusts his feet on the welcome mat before he walks into the house.