Chapter 23 - Suspicion

(This is my insta acc- shimiko_zen)

Sweat was dripping down his face.

Blood trickling down his chin.

Eyes widening in horror.

"Hah....pathetic....I didn't even need my kagune to beat you to a bloody pulp," Kiori cracked her neck with a content sigh. "Well, playtime's over."

Her kagugan shone bright as her kagune sprouted out from behind her. "Sleep."

The life disappeared from Nakao's eyes as blood flowed down from his neck, Kiori's kagune slowly retreating back into her body. She smirked. "It's been some time since I've felt this alive, eh?"

She cracked her middle finger with a small sigh. "This will be hard to clean.....What a drag."

She narrowed her eyes at the hut near her.

2 weeks later

"Oi, have you heard, Kiori?" Ayato asked.

"What is it?"

"The second round of the chunin exams are held at the Forest of Death. That's where you keep your flesh, right?"

Kiori's eyes narrowed as she stood up.

"Someone better not have found it," Ayato stood up along. "I'll go with you, just in case."

The two ran towards training grounds 44.

"Sakura-chan!" Naruto whispered.

Sakura's eyes slowly opened. Memories came flooding back to her and she shot up immediately. "Sasuke-kun! Oh, Naruto...where's Sasuke-kun!?"

"He's there," Naruto nodded at Sasuke who was resting under a tree, unconscious. "That Orochimaru bastard gave him a mark...."

"S-Sasuke-kun!" Sakura's eyes widened in horror as she ran towards the Uchiha.

"He'll be fine, Sakura-chan, don't worry," Naruto smiled. "Oh, and, there's a river nearby. Wanna go drink a little if you're thirsty? I'll carry Sasuke-teme along."

Sakura's eyes watered.

"S-Sakura-chan? Are you okay? Why are you cr-" Naruto was cut off as he was swallowed in a hug by the pink haired kunoichi.

"Thank you, Naruto......I'm so sorry!" she sobbed.

"S-Sakura....chan......" Naruto patted her back slowly.

"We're here," Kiori said as the two rested on a branch. Sniffing the air, her eyes narrowed. "Someone was here. I smell burnt wood."

Running closer towards the house, her eyes widened as a familiar scent spread into her nose.

She stopped and jumped down from the tree, standing at the riverbank. 'Naruto....you........'

Her fists clenched in anger.

At that moment, I once again realized....

Humans can't be trusted, at all.

"Kiori."

"Yes?" Kiori sighed.

"Don't worry about it that much. If the worst happens, you can still leave the village," Ayato said.

"How can you say that so easily?" Kiori's lips quivered. "For two years. Two years, I've been around these humans. I loved them, cherished them."

Tears stained her eyes. "How would you know what it's like, betrayed by those very people you trusted so much? And because of those filths, betraying those who still deserve your trust, th-that's just..."