Chapter 33 - Trap

Question: Do you have a favourite character in this book? If so, who?

(And why if possible)

---

"This time, we'll be splitting up in pairs," Kaneki said. "Look for any abandoned buildings, caves or places we can use. Check thoroughly. If we took a place that belongs to someone, we're screwed.

"Let's just live in the mountains," Kiori huffed.

"That's a good idea too." Kaneki blinked with an innocent smile.

"A-Ay, I wasn't serious," Kiori sweatdropped.

"I mean, not much people go there, and with our bodies we can survive," Kaneki said. "What do you guys think?"

"As long as we're not that easily found, why not?" Touka asked. 

"The mountains it is then," Kaneki concluded with a smile. "So, group sortings. Tasumi and Kiori in a group."

The dark blue haired woman nodded to Kiori with a small smile.

Kiori smiled back nervously.

"Masaki and Ayato."

"This dude....?" Ayato muttered, staring up at the tall man. "Tsk."

"Nishiki you will be going with Banjo," Kaneki said. "Touka and I will stay to look after the injured and the children."

"Got it....." Nishiki muttered, shooting a narrowed glance at Banjo. "Can he really be any help though?"

Awkward silence.

"Anyways, repeating. Our main goal for today is to look for a suitable place for a base. Avoid running into enemies and only fight if you have no other choice. We do not want to attract attention," Kaneki stated.

"If you find any ghouls that may be of help to us and is trustable, or a ghoul that might need our help, take them here if possible. Hunting will be set for tomorrow."

"Aw man, I'm kind of hungry," Kiori muttered.

"Do NOT. Kill." Kaneki's eyes narrowed. "Not today."

"A-Alright, so I guess we will be checking the whole mountain?" Tasumi asked.

"Yes. All of you together. If there are no results, we will start checking other places."

"Whaat.....that's....troublesome," Kiori sighed. "Welp. It can't be helped I guess."

"Try not to reveal your identity as a ghoul or use any of your abilities. We want them to know as little information about us as possible. Be back by next sunrise. If you're not back by tomorrow evening...." Kaneki sighed. "You'll be considered....dead."

"O....kay." Kiori nodded slowly.

"And as much as we hate this, we can't be dragging dead bodies around. Not only we'll be attracting attention, we'll be easily tracked as well. So if one of you dies and the other survives, try to wipe any evidence that that person has ever lived," Kaneki said. "If you're....well....in a situation where you have time to do that..."

"What? But-"

"It has to be done," Touka cut in. "We're here alive, and we must do our best to survive."

"Got it...."

"We received report that Orochimaru might have a hidden base here," A woman said, eyes on the mountain as she stood on a tree branch along with another masked male.

"Am I supposed to be here?" The man asked.

"No. This mission was assigned to only me and my team isn't involved so I thought you should help."