Chapter 31 - Loss

Her eyes snapped open.

"Huh?"

"Kiori! You're finally awake!" 

"What? What's going on?" Kiori frowned, glancing around at the others who were travelling through the woods with her on Nishiki's back.

"God, you're heavy as fuck. Get down, you can run on your own right? We're fleeing from the base. That kakuja is too much for us to handle," Nishiki narrowed his eyes.

"Where's Miyo!?" Kiori asked as she got down and ran along side Nishiki.

"She's...." Nishiki clicked his tongue. "We left her at the base."

"WHAT!?" Kiori screamed, pausing in her steps.

"If we try to save her all of us will die! Would you rather all of us here die!?" Nishiki shouted. "We can't lose more that can still fight!"

Kiori gritted her teeth. "But still......"

"Kaneki is handling the kakuja for now. We'll go help him after we find a safe place for the hcildren to stay in," Touka informed. "As much as I hate to leave Miyo there....we have no choice. This is the only way we can all survive."

'This can't....keep on....'

Kaneki panted as he shakily stood up, his wounds healing themselves as he leaned onto a wall for support. 'Clear...clear my mind...think...'

Touka.

Hinami.

Kiori.

He shook his head, slapping himself. 'Focus!'

His eyebrows furrowed in attention. 'He can detach his kagune...which means I need to stay away from the floor or wall to avoid traps.....An ukaku, but he's quite slow....'

Kakuja.

Centipede.

'No....' He shook his head. 'I can't use a power I can't control....I can't let it happen again.'

He clenched his fists. 'But....what choice do I have? In my current state...there's no way I can beat him without....'

His eyes narrowed before he ran at the kakuja.

The kakuja grinned.

Kaneki's eyes widened as he dodged a kagune trap that shot out of the wall just in time.

His breath hitched as he saw the kakuja's claws coming for him.

'CRAP!'

The kagune wrapped around him, its spikes giving him minor cuts all over the body.

'I just...have to...'

His kagune sprouted out of his back, percing through the kakuja's kagune.

It wasn't enough.

The kakuja grinned until a figure flashed before him.

Kaneki's eyes widened.

The kakuja's kagune was cut off.

But...who would...?

A cloaked figure appeared on top of the roof, head facing Kaneki.

"You're...." Kaneki muttered. "Who are you?"

'An enemy ghoul? Or is he trying to help me? But why would he?'

"You...do not need that for now."