Chapter 37 - Traitor

As the smoke slowly cleared, Kiori lifted her head from under her arm, eyes wide.

"Miyo....?"

Miyo's kagune was in front of her in a defensive position, but the attack didn't hit her.

A figure slowly straightened her body, head slowly turning around as her wide emarald eyes seemingly glowed through the smoke.

"Kiori.....san."

"You're....what are you doing here?" Kiori asked, eyes wide in shock.

"I'm here to....protect you," the figure answered, lowering her fist.

Protect?

What the hell was she talking about?

And why the hell is Sakura Haruno here?

Kiori let out a scoff, a bitter smile on her face. 'As much as I'd like to decline her 'protection', we're really in need of help here...'

Sakura turned her head towards the kakuja, her face still void of emotions except for her wide eyes. "That's a......"

"¿Oh? ¿Qué es esto?" (Oh? What's this?) The kakuja grinned.

A detached kagune shot out from the ground behind Sakura.

"Sakura!" Kiori yelled, sprinting forward.

In a blur, Sakura threw a chakra kick to the kagune, breaking it into two halves.

"You called me....by my first name," Sakura muttered. "Does that mean you accept me as a friend?"

"What the hell....are you talking about?" Kiori asked with an exasperated expression on her face.

"Am I......" Tears flowed down Sakura's eyes uncontrollably, her eyebrows scrunched together. "....a friend to you?"

Kiori couldn't answer.

She didn't know how.

Was Sakura a friend to her?

"I......" Kiori muttered. "....guess."

"Thank you."

A smile.

There was a smile on Sakura's face, her tears not stopping. "Thank you.....Kiori."

Sakura dashed forward, dodging a few attacks from the kakuja.

"Bueno, bueno, mira eso." (Well, well, would you look at that.) Remigio whistled. "¿Estás viendo esto, Herminio?" (Are you seeing this, Herminio?)

The ghoul now known as Herminio narrowed his eyes with a smile on his face. "Esta es una buena oportunidad para observar los poderes de los humanos aquí." (This is a good chance to observe the powers of the humans here.)

"Kaneki," Kiori whispered as she appeared next to the white haired ghoul. "We fight?"

Cracking his finger, Kaneki nodded lightly. "We kill that kakuja.....right here."

She flinched.

'You can't.....kill him.'

Tears dropped onto the ground.

'Please don't.....kill him.'

"Prove it to me."

"Prove....you are loyal to me."