5 Settling In

The following morning, I was up before Ava. I headed to the small kitchen only to realize I had nothing as far as breakfast food. I called my mother's home phone from the prepaid.

"Hey baby," she said.

"Hey can you bring us some breakfast and pick up groceries?" I asked. "I don't have a car and I kinda forgot to buy groceries."

"How do you forget groceries?" She asked.

"I've had a lot on my plate," I said.

"Yeah. Tig stopped by to see if Clay needed him today so I'll send breakfast for the three of you with him and I'll come by about lunch time with some basics."

"You're the best Momma. I'm going to get Ava ready for today. We're just going to unpack and get settled in."

"Alright. I love you baby. I'll see ya later," she said.

"I love you too Momma," I said.

I headed down to Ava's bedroom and she was awake, talking to her stuffed bear in French.

"Bonjour(good morning)," I said.

"Bonjour Mama," she said. She got up and tried to make her bed. I gave her a bit of help and she smiled proudly when it was done.

"Tig apporte le petit déjeuner (Tig is bringing breakfast)," I said. She cheered loudly and I laughed at her a little.

"How about you get dressed," I said. She grabbed a purple dress with butterflies on it from her bag and handed it to me. I helped her get dressed before heading to my bedroom and grabbing a tank top and shorts and getting dressed. We finished getting ready and I read to Ava for a bit before Tig arrived.

"Sorry I took a while," Tig said, sitting the containers from my mother on the counter.

"It's alright," I said. "We were just reading."

"What were you reading Ava?"

"Le petit monstre," she said before running around.

Tig looked at me curiously. "Sounded like the small monster."

"Pretty close. It's the little monster. I first read it in college when I was learning French and she loves it."

"Sounds appropriate," he said. I corralled Ava and we sat down to eat the pancakes and bacon my mom had sent for us.

"What's on the agenda for today?" I asked.

"Not much," Tig said. "Might be a party tonight. I don't know yet."

"I want to party," Ava said.

I laughed at her slightly. "You can when you're older baby."

She glared at me a little in protest but quickly quit when I stuck my tongue out at her and she started laughing.

"How about with you?" Tig asked.

"Unpacking," I said. "Mom is going to swing by later with some groceries."

"Are you going to family dinner tomorrow?" He asked.

"We'll see if she's up to it," I said. "It's all been a big adjustment."

"Whose going to watch her while you're at work?" He asked. "Gem told me you were starting at TM on Monday."

"I'll have to take her with me for a while," I said. "I'll find someone eventually."

"There are plenty of eyes there," he said. I smiled softly and nodded.

"Plus I know they all will care for her like there own," I said.

"Mama," Ava said. I looked at her and she started to ask a question in French. She wanted to go play with her toys. She'd ate a decent portion of her breakfast so I told her she could. She bolted off towards her room and Tig just stared at me.

"You are even more amazing than I remember," he said, causing me to laugh a bit as we stood up from the table and headed to the kitchen with the trash.

"It's impossible Tiggy," I said. "I'm far fr-."

"Don't start being all self-deprecating on me now," he said. "Where did all your confidence go?"

I shrugged a little as I leaned against the counter.

"Really?" He asked. "Cause I've got a guess-."

"Tig," I said softly. "I don't want to talk about him. Please."

"Okay baby. We won't. Where do you want to get started?" He asked.

"Ava's room. She's impatient about having to constantly play with the same three things and read the same three books."

He nodded before holding his hand out to me. "Let's go."

And so the day went. We spent most of the day hanging out and unpacking the apartment. We were able to get everything unpacked and settled in. It was finally starting to feel like I was home.