41 Reunions

A couple of hours later, a young female doctor walked out into the waiting room.

"I assume you're all here for Ava Teller," she said.

"Tara?" Jax asked as we all stood up.

"Knowles?" I asked.

"Kahn now," she said. "Never expected to see a Teller again in my life."

"Is she okay?" I asked.

"Her arm is broken in multiple places. Her foot was also broken. We had to do a second surgery because the first one was to stabilize an internal bleed. The one we did today was to fix her arm and foot."

"What's the prognosis?" Tig asked.

"Full recovery," she said. "You can go back to see her but she is in Pediatric ICU so immediately family only."

Tig and I stepped forward.

"She's yours?" Tara asked.

"Yeah," I said. "And Tig is my fiancé so can you please take us to our daughter?"

She led the way back to the room where Ava was still asleep.

"She should be waking up soon," Tara said.

"Thanks," I said softly as I sat down on the foot of the huge bed and Tig sat in a chair by Ava's head.

"She's really okay," I said softly as I teared up.

"Yeah," Tig said. "She is."

We sat there for half an hour and watched her sleep. At that point Tara came back into the room.

"Piney is insisting on a guard," she said.

"Me too," I said without taking my eyes off my daughter. If I let her out of my sight again she might slip away for good.

"The police left. Said they'd come back tomorrow to talk to your daughter. And I can't let you have a guard," she said.

"Well Jax is family and so is Piney," I said.

"Piney ain't family," she said. "But Chibs said he was Tig's long lost brother. Making him her uncle."

I nodded as Tig confirmed what she'd said.

"And Piney is my godfather which makes him, ya know, family," I said.

"Look, in a couple of days they'll all be able to see her," Tara said.

"Please leave the room if you don't have anything to say or do for my daughter's medical needs," I said.

She just nodded and walked out as Tig moved his chair so he could hold my hand.

"Thanks," I said softly. He leaned over and kissed me gently.

About twenty minutes later Ava finally woke up.

"Mama?" She asked.

"Oui mamour (yes my love)," I said. "Nous sommes ici (we're here)."

"Grandmere blessé Abi (Grandma hurt Abi)," she said.

"Je connais (I know)," I said.

"Pourquoi m'a-t-elle emmené (why did she take me)?" She asked. My eyes watered a little.

"Je ne sais pas (I don't know)," I said. "Mais tu es en sécurité maintenant (But you're safe now)."

"Est papa ici(is Daddy here)?"

"Oui," I said, looking at Tig. His eyes were watering as he wiped them with the hand that wasn't holding mine.

"I'm here baby," he said. Her eyes were closing again.

"Je suis ici (I'm here)," I said softly. He repeated the words and she opened her eyes to look at him.

"Je t'aime(I love you)," she said.

"Nous t'aimons (we love you)," I said. She nodded weakly and closed her eyes.

"Du repos. Vous en avez besoin(Rest. You need it)," I said. Her breathing steadied and she fell asleep again.

"Four years old and already been through so much shit," Tig said. I just nodded as I watched her sleep.

"She asked why grandma took her," I said after a while. He just shook his head.

"We'll get through this babe," Tig said. "And we'll figure out why she wanted to hurt her."

"I know why Tig," I said. "She wanted to get back at me for outing Clay as the abusive man he is."

"She wouldn't hurt a kid," Tig said.

"She told me once, shortly after Tommy died, that she hoped I lived to see my kid call someone else mommy and then I lost the kid forever so I knew what she was going through," I said.

He stood up and wrapped his arms around me and hushed me.

"I love you," Tig said softly.

"I love you too," I said.

After a while he went to update his brothers on what was going on.