31 Birthday Party

The next morning, I was woken up by Ava jumping onto our bed.

"Ava," I warned. "Daddy's still hurt."

"She's okay," Tig said softly as he sat up. "Why are you so energetic this morning munchkin?"

"C'est mon anniversaire (it's my birthday)," she said happily.

"Whatcha sayin?" Tig asked.

"It's my birthday Daddy," she said happily.

"No that can't be right," he joked.

"Yeah it is," she said. There's my sass shining through.

"How old are you?" He asked.

"Four," she said.

"No," he dragged the word out. "When did you get so old?"

"I'm not old," she laughed a little. "Mama's old."

"Not as old as Daddy," I shot back. I grabbed her from his lap and started tickling her.

"Do you really think I'm old?" I asked. She continued giggling as she nodded.

"How old am I then?"

"Forty," she said. My eyes widened as Tig laughed.

"Not quite," I said.

"Mama's got a long way to go before she's forty," Tig said. I nodded and Ava just looked at me.

"Breakfast?" She asked, well sort of demanded.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Pancakes," she said. "With chocolate chips."

"I think I can manage," I said. "But Uncle Bobby did send cinnamon rolls home with me yesterday."

"Speak for yourself Ava," Tig said. "I'm having cinnamon rolls."

"Me too," she said.

"I'll go heat em up and start some coffee," I said, getting out of bed.

The rest of the morning flew by as we got ready for Ava's party. The biggest dilemma was what Ava was going to wear. It took Tig and I twenty minutes to convince her she couldn't wear her pajamas.

She finally settled on some jean shorts and a SAMCRO shirt my mom had made for her. She loved that shirt, but I can't say much because I exclusively wore SAMCRO shirts for well over a month one time.

I ended up wearing a blue sundress, which Tig thought was perfect for trying to tease me in. I kept glaring at him as he tried to sneakily tease me while I braided Ava's hair.

Luckily Tig got his shit together and before long we were headed down to TM for the birthday party.

When we arrived, Jax met us at the car and took Ava off to play with Ellie the second he got her out.

"You good?" I asked as Tig groaned as he stood up. He nodded and I walked over to him so he could put his arm around my shoulder to steady himself.

"How ya feeling?" Clay asked as we walked up to the party.

"Still hurts like a bitch," he said. He and Clay started talking so I snuck off to find my mom.

"Need any help?" I asked as I walked up.

"No, I've got it baby," she said. "How's the old man?"

"Good," I said. "Probably should've stayed in bed today but good. Still pissed he can't ride right now."

"Yeah I bet," she said.

"Maybe next him he won't get freaking shot," I said.

"I mean he is SA," she said with a shrug. I knew that made his life significantly more dangerous because it meant he had to protect Clay at all costs. That didn't mean I had to like it.

"I know," I said softly. Ava ran over to me and dragged me off to look at the presents that were sitting on a table.

The party was great, lasting several hours. My mom wouldn't let Tig or I help with anything which was nice because neither of us really ever get to just chill when we're around the club.

It also exhausted Ava so by the time we took her home she was sound asleep already. The day was long, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Ava even said it was her best birthday yet which made me realize that bringing her home probably should have happened sooner.