14 Knowing the Cops Pays

I talked to the cops as Tig's arm was tended to by a paramedic. The firemen deemed the fire adequately put out and told the cops they could start their investigation into what happened.

"So what happened sweetheart?" Unser asked. I bounced Ava a bit as she slept. She'd finally been coaxed out of Tig's arms when he had to go to the ambulance which was by the blaring sirens of the fire truck.

"My ex left me which is why I came back to Charming with Ava," I said. I continued to explain what had gone down to him and he nodded as he took notes.

"I'm going to need you and Trager to give official statements," he said. "Probably your brother and Chibs too."

"I know Wayne," I said. "Hey, um you see a lot of childhood trauma." He nodded a bit.

"What's your point?"

"Well Ava hasn't responded to English since this all went down," I said.

"Does she know another language?"

"Yeah. It's obviously not hearing loss because she will talk to me in French. I was just wondering if this type of thing was normal."

"Everyone goes through things differently," he said. "It might be normal. You could always take her to the hospital."

"I will if it doesn't get better," I said. Unser nodded and walked away as I went back to leaning on my car.

"Sam," David Hale said as he walked over to me.

"Hey David," I said. "Working for the PD now eh?"

He chuckled a bit. "Yeah. Not a bad gig. I need you and Ava to come with me to do your statement and everything."

"Can one of the guys come with me?" I asked. "I just feel safer with them around, so does Ava."

"Um, Trager is going to meet us their. Unser wanted to take him personally."

"Fine," I said. I walked over and said goodbye to Tig and they were finishing up the work on his arm.

"Be careful," he said, kissing me before kissing Ava's head.

"You too," I said.

I headed out with David. When we arrived at the station, it was well past dark and I really just wanted to go to bed. He offered me a chair and I took it. He handed me the form and I filled it out, documenting everything I could remember.

"Mama," Ava said after about an hour. Tig was sitting at one of the other desks filling out the same form I was and attempting to distract me.

"Oui (yes)," I said.

"Puis-Je prendre un verre (can I have a drink)?" She asked.

"David, can you get Ava some water?" I asked. He nodded and stood up from his desk. I thanked him as he returned and helped Ava take a drink. She smiled a little before laying her head on my chest again and falling back asleep.

Before we knew it we were allowed to leave. Luckily my pain in the ass brother had dropped my car off with the PD so we could at least get out of here.

"You're gonna have to drive baby," Tig said as we were walking down the steps. He was carrying Ava and holding my hand as we walked.

"Why?" I asked.

"My license may be suspended," he said. I nodded and got into the drivers seat as he buckled Ava in and got in next to me.

"We're not going to be allowed back in the house for a day or two," I said as I pulled out of the lot.

"Unser thinks tomorrow afternoon," he said. "He's not going to press any charges or anything cause the shooting was in self defense and the fire was set by a dead man."

"Oh god and I have to tell Ava her dad is dead when she wakes up," I said.

"We'll do it together," Tig said.

"Can we stay at the clubhouse?" I asked.

"Yeah, we're going to have to. I don't want Ava anywhere near my place," he said. I nodded and pulled down the road for TM.