45 What Happened

The cops knocked on the door and opened it slowly.

"Come here baby," I said to Ava, picking her up gently and sitting her on my lap. Tig moved to wrap his arm around my waist.

"Hello Miss Teller," the cop said. He was the nicer one who knew a little French.

"Hi," I said. Ava just watched them as the two sat down in some chairs across from us.

"Ava," the one said. "I'm Alex and this is my partner Jake. We have some questions about what happened yesterday."

"Okay," she spoke softly. She looked extremely small, and the bandages all over her body made her the most vulnerable being ever.

"What happened yesterday?"

"Abi and I were playing when Grandma came in with a gun," she said softly. "Mama said that guns are dangerous and might hurt me so. I was scared. Then Grandma said I had to leave with her cause Mama and Daddy were hurt. Abi said no cause Mama didn't talk to her."

She paused a little and looked at Tig and I.

"You're doing so good baby," I said. Tig nodded and she stayed quiet.

"What happened when Abi told Grandma no?" I asked.

"Grandma hurt her and picked me up, making me leave," she said. "Abi was crying but Grandma put me in the car and drove off."

"Where did you go?" The officer asked.

"She just kept driving," Ava said. "I want to go home."

"We can go home after you're better," I said, kissing her head.

"Do you remember what happened to your arm or face?"

"There was a loud crash," Ava said. "I don't remember anything else."

"You did so good," the cop said. "You were very helpful."

"Really?" She asked.

"You really did so good," Tig said. She smiled a little.

"Daddy," Ava said. She tried to move to Tig's arms.

"Here," he said taking her.

"Miss Teller, can we have a moment?" The cops asked. I nodded and kissed Ava's head before walking into the hallway with them.

"We're going to contact Charming PD," Alex said. I nodded.

"What is going to happen?" I asked.

"There's a list of things we're going to charge Gemma Morrow with, but just worry about helping your little girl," he said. "The APB on Gemma is still out. I just need a phone number to contact you at if we need anything else."

I nodded and gave them the phone number. I thanked them and returned to the room. Ava and Tig were both asleep on the bed. I sat down next to them and watched them both.

After about an hour my phone rang.

"Hello," I said.

"Hey sis," Jax said. "I've got your car and bags. Koz and Hap wanna see her before they head out."

"Yeah," I said. "One at a time. She's in the same room."

"Sure thing," he said. The line went dead and Ava moved a little.

"Ava baby," I said softly. "Your uncles are going to stop in. They want to see that you're okay."

"Mama," she said.

"Yes baby," I said.

"What's gonna happen to Grandma?"

"Well, first they have to find her. Then she's probably going to go to jail for hurting you," I said.

There was a knock at the door and it opened slowly.

"How's she doing?" Hap asked softly.

"She's awake but Tig's out cold," I said. He nodded as he walked over to the bed.

"Hey little one," Happy said. "Those bandages make you look tough as hell."

"Really?"

"Yeah," he said with a chuckle. "Our badass little biker girl."

She laughed at him and he smiled. Happy Lowman genuinely smiled.

"You and Tig need anything before we head back?" Happy asked.

"Just someone's gotta clean up my house," I said.

"Already done," he said.

"You talked to Quinn yet?" I asked.

"Abi's awake. Asking about Ava. I'm gonna stop in when we get back," he said.

"Thank you," I said softly. He just nodded before heading out and sending Kozik in.