25 Language Improvement

We spent the afternoon moving and settling in to the new place. I seriously needed to do some shopping for the house, specifically Ava's room. The rest of it could wait. Most her things had been burned. What we could salvage were a few stuffed animals and her clothes.

"Tig," I said after a while. "I thought you said we couldn't move in until tomorrow."

"They gave me the key and the ownership documents," he said with a shrug. We were sitting on the couch just relaxing for a little bit.

"Also, I am going to have to go shopping soon," I said. He nodded to where Ava was sadly playing with her unicorn stuffed animal.

"We can take her tonight," he said. "Let her pick out some stuff."

"She's just been through so much," I said. "I feel bad for her."

"Me too baby," he said. "Yeah we can take her to pick out some new toys and books."

"I wanna order a couple of books in French for her too," I said.

"Le petite monstre(the little monster)," he said. He struggled with the French a bit, but it was some serious improvement.

"Oui, mamour(yes my love)," I said.

"How do you say, we're going shopping in French?" He asked. Ava loved when Tig attempted to talk to her in French. Maybe it was because it was really bad and honestly a little comical, but mostly it was because it showed how much he cared about us that he was trying.

"Nous allons faire du shopping (we're going shopping)," I said.

"Ava," Tig said, earning her attention. He tried to tell her we were going shopping but he butchered it a little bit.

"Quelle (what)?" She asked. I stifled a laugh.

"Il essaie de dire nous allons faire du shopping(he's trying to tell you we're going shopping)," I said.

"Yeah what your Mama said," he said. I smiled at him as she walked over to where we were sitting on the couch. I picked her up and put her on my lap.

"Pourqoui (why)?" She asked.

"Pour t'acheter de nouveaux trucs (to buy you some new stuff)," I said. She looked over at Tig.

"Peut-il venir (can he come)?" She asked.

"Voulez-vous qu'il le fasse (do you want him to)?" I asked.

"Oui (yes)," she said with a happy little nod.

"What was that about?" He asked.

"She asked why and if you were going with us," I said.

"Am I allowed to?" He asked.

"Only if you be good. That's the rule," Ava said.

"Très bien Ava (very good)," I said. "You have to behave to get to go into stores."

I was trying to suppress my laughter at the fact that my daughter had told Tig he had to behave and I could tell he was too.

"You think she's funny," Tig said in an attempt to call me out as his prepaid rang.

"Go," I said. He nodded and took off to answer the phone. When he returned he looked pissed.

"What?" I asked softly he just shook his head.

"Ava baby, can you go find your shoes in your bedroom?" I asked. She took off and he sat down next to me.

"That was Clay," he said. "He needs me back at the clubhouse."

"Go," I said.

"What about Ava?" He asked. "She was so excited."

"I know babe but I'll tell her that something came up with the club and you had to leave. She will understand that your family needed you," I said.

"If you wanna wait an hour or so. Maybe get her some dinner I will try to make it back so we don't have to break her heart anymore," he said. I nodded and he took off after kissing my lips quickly. I headed into our new kitchen and started fixing dinner for Ava and I.