55 Perfect Life

The next several months were crazy as my pregnancy progressed and our chaotic life continued.

I was about eight and a half months along when my water broke and I went into labor. I was working in the garage so I yelled for Tig and he came running in.

"We've gotta get to the hospital," I said. He nodded and helped me out to my car. A couple of the guys followed as the rest stayed behind to keep the garage open before locking up when we closed in an hour.

I was in labor about eight hours when Nathaniel Thomas Trager was born. Three minutes later Jonathan Alexander Trager was born.

"They're so perfect baby," Tig said. I nodded, completely exhausted. They laid Nathaniel down in my arms and I smiled at him.

"You did so good," Tig said. He was holding Jonathan as he sat next to my bed. Because it was pretty late at night they wouldn't let anyone in to see us just yet. We had to wait until tomorrow afternoon to introduce them to everyone.

Before long I was sound asleep as Tig held my hand.

The next morning, Jax and Wendy were the first in to see us with Ava in tow. Because they were family they were allowed in early.

"Momma," Ava said. "Do I have brothers?"

The whole pregnancy she was insistent that I was having boys. She only wanted brothers. Tig and I had decided not to know what we were having. We wanted the surprise.

"Yeah baby," I said as she sat down on my lap. Tig picked Nathaniel up and brought him to the bed as Wendy held Jonathan.

She was about two months pregnant. Her and Jax had gotten married about that time too. They were excited to start their own family, and Wendy was thankful for the practice with my kids.

Nathaniel had a small hole in his heart, most likely the family flaw, but the doctors said they could repair it. It wasn't serious enough that they considered it an emergency. However, I was an anxious mess the entire time he was in surgery but he came out of it just fine and they said it had been repaired.

The afternoon was filled with the guys coming in and out to meet the boys. Everything was perfect with the two now. Jonathan was the only one anyone was allowed to hold. Nathaniel was still recovering from heart surgery.

A couple of days later we were allowed to take Jonathan home but Nathaniel had to stay an extra few days because of his heart. Tig and I were having a hard time with that, but I knew it was important. I'd watched Thomas die of this heart defect. I wasn't going to let my son go through that.

When we got to bring him home, our life was finally perfect. Ava loved helping with her baby brothers and she even spoke to them in French. She remembered some of being in France and she would tell them goodnight stories about that and whatever else she could think of.

"Baby," Tig said one day when the twins were a few months old. We were watching Ava try to play with the boys. She was laughing and telling them stories.

"Yeah," I said.

"Thank you," he said. I turned towards him.

"What for?"

"For this perfect life."