44 End of the Week

When I walked into the hospital room Ava was awake. Tig was half asleep on her bed next to her as she watched cartoons.

"Good morning baby," I said, walking over to kiss Ava's head.

"Morning Mama," she said.

"You really tired Daddy out this morning," I joked as I woke Tig up.

"Daddy needs some sleep," he said.

"Hap and Koz are bringing us our lockdown bags and my car," I said. "Go get some sleep. Juice is waiting in the hall with a room key."

"Docs going to be in shortly for an update and the cops are coming in right after," he said. "I'll go after that."

I nodded as I turned the TV off and Ava pouted.

"No," I said as she tried to argue with me. "You will be watching plenty of cartoons in the next couple months."

"Babe," Tig said motioning across the room. I nodded and we stepped away from Ava to talk.

"We've gotta tell her the cops want to talk to her," he said.

"I know," I said. "Just don't want to scare her."

"You'll do-." He was cut off my the door opening. Dr. Kahn walked in and smiled at us as she moved to Ava's bedside. Tig and I moved to stand opposite her.

"Good morning Ava," Tara said. "My name is Tara and I'm one of the doctors who's been helping you feel better."

Ava just looked up at us and reached for Tig's hand. He sat down beside her and explained that Tara was a good person who wanted to help her feel better.

"Want to see Abi," she said.

"When you're out of the hospital baby. I'm sure she wants to see you too," I said.

"She's okay?" Ava asked.

I nodded. "Mama and Juice got her help and now Daddy's friend Quinn is with her to make sure she gets better."

Tig turned to me. "I'll call him for an update in a bit." I just nodded as I looked to Tara.

"How's she doing?" I asked softly.

"Remarkably well," Tara said. "She is going to be in some pain for a while. But she's a tough kid. The stitches in her stomach and face will come out in two weeks. The arm and foot will require appointments every two weeks and could take several months to heal. With luck she can go home by the end of the week."

"The injuries, do you know what caused them?"

"They're all consistent with a car accident," she said. "There's nothing present to make us think otherwise."

I nodded and she said she'd tell the cops to give us ten minutes or so.

"One more thing," I said. "After we handle the cops, can the guys come in one by one?"

"Yeah," she said. "One at a time."

"Thank you," I said. She walked out of the room and I moved to sit on the bed with Ava and Tig.

"Ava," I said softly. "Do you remember how yesterday the nice cops found you and brought you here?"

"Yes Mama," she said. She was playing with Tig's rings on his left hand.

"Well they have to ask you some questions about what happened after grandma took you from Abi," I said. She nodded and turned to Tig who had fallen asleep on her bed.

"Daddy needs a bed time," she said, giggling as she looked at me.

"I know," I said. "I'll give him one."

I talked to Ava, mainly just reminding her that I loved her, for a few more minutes before there was a knock and the cops walked in.