39 He Was the One

"Tig," Kozik said.

"I don't want to talk to you," Tig said bitterly.

"I just wanted to say how sorry I am about your little girl," Kozik said. "Sam told me about her and I'm sorry this is happening to the two of you."

Tig stayed silent, his eyes never leaving my face. His body was tense and his right hand was gripping my hip. I slid my hand in between his and my body.

"Thank you Kozik," I said.

"Anything the two of you need I'm here," he said.

I nodded and smiled a little.

"Tig," Kozik said.

"Not tonight," Tig said. "I'll kill ya."

"I'm sorry," Kozik said again before walking away.

"I'm gonna get some coffee," I said. "Then we're talking about that."

"Get me a mug," he said. I glared at him. "Please."

I nodded and went to the kitchen where Bobby had made a pot of coffee.

"Get some sleep Bobby," I said. He shook his head.

"Offered to take first watch," he said, motioning to the surveillance screens.

"Thanks," I said.

I returned to Tig and sat his mug down on the bar.

"Dorm?" He asked. I nodded and we headed off to the dorm.

"What's the deal with Kozik?" I asked.

"He was dog sitting," Tig said. "Last dog I owned. We were best friends, me and Koz and me and the dog."

I smiled softly, sitting down beside him.

"He killed the fucking dog," Tig said.

"Tiggy," I said. "Did he kill her or did she die while you were gone?"

"She ran into traffic," he said.

"Tig," I said. "He's seriously sorry about it."

"I'm still pissed," he said.

"Tig he's trying," I said.

He turned to me. "Why do you care so much?"

"He's a good guy," I said. "He wants to make things right with his friend."

"Is he the one?" Tig asked. "That you slept with at your d-."

"Yes," I said. "But that doesn't matter Tig."

"Promise?" He asked.

"If one good thing has come out of today, it's that I can see how truly you love our daughter and how great of a father you are," I said. "You are the only one I want."

"I know babe," he said. "Just so much anxiety and I can't think straight."

"I know baby," I said. I leaned into his side a little. He turned his head and kissed my hair.

"I love you Alex," I said as the door to the dorm opened.

"Chibs is on the phone. He wants you," Bobby said.

I nodded and took the phone.

"Hey Chibs," I said softly.

"Aye lass," he said.

"Anything?" I asked.

"The car," he said.

"What about it?" I asked.

"If ya mom ditched her car and traded it for a new one, what would it look like?"

"I don't know," I said. "She had the SUV that they found and the old caddy but I think that's at her place. Maybe one of my grandparents came down and picked her up. Grandpa drives an old truck, Ford maybe. And my grandmother doesn't drive."

"Alright," he said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Wanted to know if there was something to keep my eyes out for," he said. I was hoping he had his eyes on something promising, but I wasn't convinced.

"Keep me posted please Chibs," I said.

"I will lass," he said. "Rest."

"Not til she's home," I said.

"Lass," Chibs said. "She's okay."

"I love you Filip," I said.

"Love you too Sam," he said. I handed the phone back to Bobby and he walked out.

"What was that?" Tig asked.

"Wanted to know what type of car to keep an eye out for," I said. Tig pulled me into a hug.

"Everything will be fine," Tig said. "She's gonna be okay and we'll have our little girl back."

"I know."