15: trust Renjun and his worried ass

Mark shuffled into his seat, Renjun's head shooting up from his work at him while he placed his bag down.

"Oh my god you're back," Renjun looked at him, stunned.

Mark shook his head at him, "it's not like I died."

"I mean," Renjun shrugged, "you kinda did."

Mark pulled his chair in before squinting at him, "what the fuck dude, I didn't resurrect from the dead or something."

Renjun laughed in response. "Did you go to hospital?" he huffed out.

"To the doctors," Mark corrected.

Renjun clicked his tongue, opening his book up, "I feel like that's kinda ridiculous though."

Mark looked at him with furrowed brows, Renjun looking back. The younger of the two placed his pen down, "shouldn't you have gone to hospital?"

"I've had worse," Mark whined quietly. He scrunched his nose for a moment before sneezing yet again.

"Still," Renjun frowned.

Mark shrugged, itching at the base of his neck, "Welp apparently I can get preventive treatment soon so at least I have that."

"There's a cure?"

"Don't quote X-Men at me."

Renjun hit Mark's thigh under the table, "dude, I'm serious."

Mark chuckled, copying down the notes that the teacher had scrawled on the board, "not a cure really but more just a tolerance to it," he sniffled, "but I don't see the use cause mine is not that bad."

Renjun looked up to quickly memorise a few words, "I still think you should do it."

"What would I get out of it?"

At that moment the door slammed open, a kid panting in the doorway now present. Mark's skin suddenly lit up as he began scratching at his chin. The kid bowed at the teacher, mumbling an apology for being late while the teacher took his slip and told him to take a seat. He slid into the front, not making eye contact with anyone within the class, unlike Mark who was following his every move.

The one downside of Mr Nakamoto's class was that it was the one of the only classes Haechan could not have been swapped out of.

Renjun grabbed Mark's hand, pressing them down in his lap. He smirked at the elder, "I reckon you could get a lot out of it."

Mark glared at him as his skin prickled. Well, to be fair, he was right. After the epiphany he had about two days ago, it would be a huge benefit for him to start doing the preventive measures. Maybe then he really could just sit next to Haechan, smile at him, hug him, ki-

"No."

There were some other things he had to factor in. After this year he wouldn't need it. It's not like the outside world provided much for him during the day anyways since he's adapted to the night. It would be like taking a random fucking barn owl and sticking them in the north pole, it would be stupid. The smart thing to do would be just to limit the amount of time he spent out it the sunlight, maybe get a night shift and find some 24 hour grocery stores which would be perfect for him.

He looked up, sighing to himself as he watched him frantically writing the notes he had missed earlier. Besides, Haechannie could have Jisung. The young male seemed so happy and excited whenever he spoke about him. Jisung knows how he feels and knows how to deal with it. Meanwhile Mark had been in denial for a good few months or so. He didn't need Haechan.

He definitely wanted him, but need and want are two different things.

"I...I wouldn't," Mark looked down to their hands, his skin probably at the consistency of stone, scratching against Renjun's, "after this year, I wouldn't need them."

Renjun pressed his lips together, glancing to the corner of the room, "you would want them though. Wants and needs can be just as important as each other."

Mark slowly looked up, "I dunno, Renjun."

"...there are other benefits than just...the outside, or he who shall not be named."

"Like?"

Renjun's eyes darted around the room as he mentally pulled at his nerves to find something that made at least a bit of sense.

"...u...v...lights...?"

Mark gave Renjun a deadpanned expression, "seriously."

Renjun shrugged, squeezing Mark's hands, "please just take it so you can at least be in the same room as him. You're literally burning up in my hands and there are small red bubbles on your neck again. You're not even in direct contact with him."

Mark sighed, now looking back up at Haechan supposedly doodling in his book as the teacher explained the war. Mark closed his eyes, "I can only really start it next year though, by then it would be too late."

Renjun sighed, turning back to the board but still holding on to Mark's hands, "fine, suffer then."

"I'm already suffering," Mark snorted. He looked up for a brief moment before looking back at his hands. "Let go of my hands."

Renjun reluctantly let go, "if you start itching again I'm cutting your hands off."

Mark laughed, returning to his work, biting his lip now to prevent himself from violently scratching himself.

"I'm gonna carry rope with me."

"I'll break your neck if you do."