Final Day of Second Year

(Y/N) POV

Tomorrow's the last day of second year and everyone's fallen asleep. But I couldn't go to bed, I was too restless. So at around two in the morning I decided to head down to the common room.

I rub the tiredness away from my eyes as I head down the stairs. I was still in that strange headspace drifting between being tired and being energized. But that all changes when I hear crying as I reach the bottom of the steps.

It's not the kind of crying that happens when you've hurt yourself though. It's heavy and it sounds like they're crying with their whole body. And it's muffled like they're screaming into a pillow. But my heart breaks when I see the familiar tuft of hair peek up from the couch.

"Lee?"

He doesn't hear me. He just continues sobbing as he's curled up on the couch. So I decide to silently walk up to him and put my hand on his shoulder. He jumps a little but effectively lifts his head up from the pillow.

His eyes are bloodshot and his eyebrows are knit together. We don't say anything as we look at each other but when I hug him he clings onto me and begins sobbing again, albeit more quietly than before.

I snuggle into him and rub my hand on his back making him shudder and hiccup. This goes on for about half an hour before his crying dies down and he looks up at me again.

Somehow he looks even more miserable than before. His eyes are lifeless and hold none of the joy I've come to expect from them. His whole demeanor is uncomfortable and so unlike him I cringe a little.

"Can you tell me what's wrong, Lee?"

He looks at me for a few seconds before nodding his head slightly.

"Remember a few days ago when Alicia pulled me aside for that private conversation? She told me that she liked someone else and she asked me to back off so it doesn't look like we're dating."

I don't say anything as his words waver and he pauses to take a few deep breaths.

"I know I was bothering her and I know it was stupid to think anything could come of that but I just feel like every time I try to show someone I care about them it comes out wrong. I say the wrong thing all the time and I don't know what to do. I like her so much (Y/N). She's so pretty and intelligent but she's also really funny and laidback when she wants to be and I thought she was starting to like me a little too but by thinking that way I disappointed myself and this happens ALL THE TIME. This happens all the time. All the time." Tears go back to streaming down his face and I hug him again. After a few moments I begin speaking.

"You know, I've been told that my dad had the exact same issues. He always took things too far or pushed people away when he was trying to do the exact opposite. And he also had a girl he liked a lot. And she didn't like him at all."
I chuckle thinking about Remus's stories.

"But at the end of their time at Hogwarts they finally connected and fell in love. Now I'm not saying you should persist with Alicia but I am saying things aren't always as they seem. She doesn't think you're showing your affections the wrong way and she certainly doesn't hate you. I can tell you've gotten on her good side and I'm sure she wants to be friends with you. She just doesn't show it well because she's so stubborn. And I know that must hurt but I promise if you give yourself the time and room to grow it'll all be okay. And if you want, you can hang out with me tomorrow and we can have fun."

He wraps his arms around me and exhales shakily.

"I'd like that a lot. Thank you (Y/N)."

"Anytime, Lee."