Troubles Ahead

Remus POV

I groan as I sit up from my bed. I'd say that was always the worst part of changing, waking up the morning after.

I feel like I ruined you.

I shake my head to try to clear my thoughts. I don't want to remember that dream either. Every full moon gives me nightmares, if I can even remember through the pain when I wake up.

You didn't ruin anything! It's okay!

This time I shove my head in my hands. Stop, I scold myself. The concentration begins to give me a headache, then I hear a bark and I swear my head is going to split open.

"C'mere." My voice rasps and I'm greeted with the black dog on my bed. I know he knows something's wrong and I smile weakly as he checks for what's hurting me.

"It's alright, quiet down."

I pet him softly and lean against on my pillow, hissing as I feel my injuries.

No, stop! Why do you want to help me- all I do is hurt you.

Remus, come on, it's just a scratch. I think you must know I've handled a lot worse than this. I'm super strong don't worry about me.

I can't stop myself from playing everything back. I feel so dazed, sitting on a bed this early in the morning and running my hand through black fur, it's so familiar but it's so horribly foreign.

How did it get to be like this?

Shut it, Pads.

No I don't think I will.

All I can think is how much it hurts to cry when your body's sore. Why is he still here, why won't he just leave me alone?

Come on, Moony. You know you love me around. I'm never going to leave you, I'll always be here.

Promise?

Always.

"Shit," I hold my head in my hands as I feel sobs continue to rack through my body. God why can't I move on? Why can't I forgot you? I don't want to live like this.

I know it's selfish but I never wanted to be the one missing you.

Come on Prongs, we miss you!

Yeah, you can't be on your broom ALL day!

Come on, it won't be that long.

I can't keep doing this. Every single day since they left I can't stop thinking about them. It's enough to make me want to go with them.

But I could never be that selfish.

She looks just like you, James.

Better be careful then, everyone she meets will be fawning over her.

Shut it you big goon!

I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do. This is miserable, I feel miserable.

We love you so much. Don't ever forget that.

I won't. I love you too.

This has to stop. I need to make a decision. That's the last thing I think before I fall back asleep from exhaustion.

~*~

This time I wake up to sunlight on my face and a weight on my chest.

"Hey, boy." I smile at the dog and he perks up at the sound of my voice.