Life at Home

Remus POV

I've never been known to be impulsive. I always think things through beforehand. But that was not the case when I found that dog in the alley.

"Now just what do you think you're doing?" I raise a brow at the puppy in front of my now torn pillows.

He jumps off the bed and barks at me.

"No no don't give me attitude you're the one destroying things. I loved those pillows, my Mum gave them to me." He tilts his head at me.

"Okay fine so I got them at the Berkley's Furniture Store but I still liked them!" The dog huffs and walks away as I groan.

"My god it's just like (Y/N) all over again."

I pick up all the cotton and put them back in the pillows to sew later. I go to the living room to see the dog asleep on the couch.

"Oh now you're tired. What did destroying my property tucker you out?" He watches me as I talk and then closes his eyes.

"Unbelievable."

I grumble and go to the kitchen to make breakfast.

"You know you try to be a good person and what do you get? Mayhem. Disaster." I glance to my right and see a photo of Sirius on the fridge.

"Oh don't look at me like that. The dog's crazy."

It was with a muggle camera so he didn't move or talk but I sort of wish I took photos of everyone that were enchanted before everything happened. I continue looking at the photo before I sigh and continue making food.

After a few minutes I walk over and sit on the couch.

"Here, I made some toast. Have some." He gives me a side glance before taking the bread with his mouth and eating it.

"God you're such a drama queen you know that? Reminds me of another black dog that was a pain in my arse."

The puppy raises his head as if listening.

"Yeah his name was Sirius I bet you two would get on great, he also enjoyed bothering me." He walks over to me and rests his head on my lap.

"Oh I get it, I give you toast and now you love me. What about when I rescued you, huh? That not good enough for you?" He ignores me and snuggles further in my lap making me tense.

I reach a hand out and pat him on the head as I hear him whine before relaxing and petting him more.

"Damn you, you're too cute." He licks my hand as I continue to eat my toast with my other hand.

"So cute but so manipulative. We need to establish some ground rules, alright? No tearing anything apart, no barking for no reason, and no stealing my food. In return, I give you a roof over your head." I go to scratch behind his ear and see his leg instinctively kick as I do so.

"Oh I've found a sweet spot, uh, dog." He shakes my hand off and sits up.

"You know I should really think of a name for you. Uh, how about David." The dog backs away from me slightly.

"Well I'm sorry, it was always James and Sirius that came up with names! Just for that attitude I'll just keep the name David to spite you." He jumps off the couch causing me to frown as I go back to the kitchen to wash my hands.

I hear a pecking at my window.

After I dry my hands I grab five knuts to give the owl and open the window. The owl hops inside and I recognize it as (Y/N)'s.

"Hello there." I gently scratch its feathers and it coos. I take the letter and as it leaves I see another owl come in.

"Ah, I was expecting you. Come in." It jumps through the window and drops the paper.

"Alright here's your payment, off you go." As that one leaves I close the window and grab the two letters.

"Ugh where are my glasses." I continue looking before I see the dog gnawing on something.

"Oh no, you'd better have what I think you have." I look closer to see my glasses case in his mouth. I grimace before prying it out.

"You know, I need these to read, dummy." I glare at him as I wipe the spit off of the case with my sleeve. He makes a low growling sound as I roll my eyes and sit beside him.

Adjusting my glasses, I pull out (Y/N)'s letter first.

"Alright let's see here. 'Dear Rem, How's life without me?'"

I glance over to the dog beside me. "Well it's certainly something, isn't it, David?" I look back at the letter.

"'I finally met Harry and he's wonderful but I found out that he lives with Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon and they're not exactly the nicest people.' Yeah that's an understatement. 'I was hoping maybe he could come live with us after he's done with his first year.'" I trail off as I raise my brows and contemplate the idea.

I'd love for Harry to come live with us but there's just no way I'd be able to afford it. Plus, I don't think Dumbledore would approve. I'd already asked to take care of both (Y/N) and Harry the very night they were orphaned, but, he adamantly refused.

I frown at the memory and feel a sudden weight on my leg. I absentmindedly go to pet the dog and continue reading.

Most of it was just about how classes have been going and how everyone was doing. I smile when I read that all the Weasley's, Alicia, and Lee say hi. But it's the last part of the letter that surprises me.

"And P.S.: Say hello to Padfoot for me."

I look over to see the dog perk up at the name.

"You've got to be kidding me. She named you already? No wonder you don't like David, huh?" The dog hangs it's tongue out and I smile bitterly. Padfoot, huh?

"I'm sorry, pup, but I don't think I can get used to saying that name again right away. Maybe let's just try Pads for now." He wags his tail and I laugh.

"Alright, wanna help me go job hunting? I've got the Daily Prophet here." I wave the second paper in my hand and open it.

The next hour was spent looking through the Daily Prophet at job listings sitting on the floor next to Pads. Eventually, after deciding on a cleaning job for a broom shop and a small baking job, I get up with a little more effort than I'd like to admit.

"Ugh, I'm so old." Pads tilts his head at me and I rub my eyes.

"Never mind let's just go write a letter back to (Y/N) and pick an outfit for my interviews tomorrow." He ruffs at me and I go to fetch some ink and parchment.

As I write I tell her I'd think about Harry staying but that I can't promise anything. I also mention my usual "study hard" and "be safe" before finishing a few minutes later and sealing it. I make a mental note to stop by the post office to borrow an owl before going over to flop on the couch.

"I think I'll take a nap. Care to join?" I look to see the dog immediately jump up next to me and snuggle into my side, making me smile.

"Rest well, Pads."

a/n: that's right- double update. I rlly am talented. but anyways here's a smaller chapter just because I wanted to write for remus a little. I always go to him whenever I need motivation for this story. lemme know what you think and thanks for reading, everyone.

tag list: @fredweasleysgirl1 @kylepho @beatrixWithrow @maddyluvsbooks @hprwfwgwdmhg @GiggleFruit @bookworm82342 @Al3xiaii @bakugousvainedhands

comment here if you wanna be part of the tag list!!