Wicked Game

A/N: Angst and no smut. I've been in a mood with the Chauvin trial and COVID number increasing at the hospital again. 

Recommended to listen to the song as the lyrics were the inspiration. This is after Lena confronts Kara that she knows she is Supergirl. Honestly, this would probably be better as an audio visual instead of written, but I hope you can imagine this as well as it plays in my head.

Lena sits in her penthouse, downing her stash of extremely expensive scotch. Her eyes are red and puffy from crying all day, but she has no more tears to give. She sits on her balcony watching the sky just thinking about what happened in the Fortress of Solitude. As much as she tries to stop it, her mind just replays moments with Kara Danvers and Supergirl, trying to make sense of the events of both people as really one person.

The world was on fire and no one could save me but you

Lena thinks about all the times that Supergirl had shown up just in time to save her, falling from LCorp's balcony, jumping off the cliff from Leviathan, saving her from her brothers hidden vault in the mountains. She remembers telling Kara Danvers that she was Lena's hero.

It's strange what desire will make foolish people do

Lena really thought she could finally have friends and people who genuinely loved her for who she was. While refilling her glass, Lena scoffs at herself for even trusting anyone. She should have known better.

I never dreamed that I'd meet somebody like you

She thinks back to when Kara wasn't even a reporter yet but so clearly believed in her regardless of her last name. Then having her join her at lunch when Alex couldn't make it. It was the first real moment of friendship. It was the first moment that Lena felt at home in National City.

And I never dreamed that I'd lose somebody like you

Lena's mind flashes back to when Lex told her Supergirl's identity. Her heart feels that crushing again. How could her best friend hide such a secret from her, especially while she was developing more intense feelings for Kara.  It felt like her entire world was ripped out from underneath her.

No, I don't want to fall in love

Lena feels tears build up in her eyes again. As much as she tries to ignore her true feelings for the blonde, she knows that she loves her. All the times that Kara brought her lunch and comforted her during the darkest of times. All the times that Supergirl had faith in her to do the right thing.

No, I don't want to fall in love
With you

Lena feels a single tear running down her face. The Luthors are known for their stoicism and for being cold and logical. Lena tries to rein in her emotions again, tries to dampen down her feeling of loss. She tries to keep her heart from breaking, but she simply can't.

What a wicked game you played
To make me feel this way

Lena lets the feeling of betrayal fester and come to the surface. Kara would build up her trust, and Supergirl would just shine through her mistrust of any Luthor. It was both Kara Danvers and Supergirl asked her boyfriend to break into her lab.

What a wicked thing to do
To let me dream of you

Simultaneously, Kara finds herself sitting on the roof of her childhood home in Midvale. Eliza had left several bags of potstickers, ice cream, and pizza on the porch, but they all remain untouched. Kara stares up at the stars where Krypton once was. She cannot believe that Lena had known for months without telling her. Kara couldn't believe that Lena could act like a friend and plot to bring her down all at the same time.

What a wicked thing to say
You never felt this way

Kara thinks back to all the arguments and disagreements they had while she was Supergirl. Lena told her flat out that she didn't ever think of her while developing weapons that could hurt her. Tears ran down her face as she thought of the day that Lena told Kara that she could never trust Supergirl again. Lena would never accept all of Kara.

What a wicked thing to do
To make me dream of you and

Kara thinks of all the times she just flew by Lena's penthouse or office to make sure she was okay. All she can think of is how afraid and consumed she had been to make sure that no one could hurt the young CEO.

I don't want to fall in love

Kara on some level knows that this is what it feels like to be in love. She loved Mon-el, sure. But now she understands why Mon-el had such a hard time of protecting the public by rushing to her aid instead. Mon-el loved Kara like Kara loves Lena.

No, I don't want to fall in love
With you

Kara collapsed her head into her lap in heavy sobs. Kara had spent so much time coping with her dual personalities that she just realized her true feelings for Lena Luthor. She thinks about how Lena bites her lower lip, how she invited her to the gala, the compliments that she would give her as a reporter and as a person.

The world was on fire and no one could save me but you

Kara thought about all the times Lena saved her as Supergirl with the Kryptonite suits and foiling her family's plans. But even on the plane in Kaznia and when Mercy attacked LCorp, all Lena was concerned about was protecting her as Kara Danvers.

It's strange what desire will make foolish people do

The blonde thinks of how she compromised herself by flying around the world to pick up Lena's favorite things. She even broke into a secure facility to get Lena her brother's journals. She would do anything to help Lena.

I never dreamed that I'd love somebody like you

Kara remembers all of her previous boyfriends, or would be boyfriends: Kenny, James, Mon-el. She never thought that she would fall so hard for such a powerful and independent woman like Lena Luthor. She could demand a boardroom and flash a heart warming smile in a single breath.

And I never dreamed that I'd lose somebody like you

Kara keeps replaying Lena's hateful and painful speech at the Fortress, asking her if Kara had any idea of what she had done. Kara doesn't think that Lena will ever forgive her. She's seen Lena cut off people for less. She knows that Lena now just thinks of her as ever other person that had lied and betrayed her.

No, I don't want to fall in love

Kara just thinks about all the times that Lena had reached out to her and showed her vulnerability. Lena telling her that she would be very afraid when she would feel again. Lena telling her that she nearly killed Morgan Edge and working with Lex.

No, I don't want to fall in love
With you

(This world is only gonna break your heart)

Lena slumped into her chair on the verge of passing out with tear and mascara stains on her face.

No, I --
(This world is only gonna break your heart)

Kara lets out a deafening wail and collapses on the roof in complete sorrow.

Nobody loves no one

Both women dream of each other that night of would it would have been like if everything had happened differently.