Semicolon (Part 4)

Kara didn't sleep at all that night. She was so distraught that Lena tried to take her own life that after she dropped Ruby off at her loft with her sister, she spent the entire night floating up amongst the clouds. It is the one place she feels safe and calm. No one can see her. She's not under the intense scrutiny of the public or her family and friends. She had listened in on Sam's heartbeat all night. It felt like too much of a violation to listen in on Lena's. She had panicked when she heard it thundering. She had no conscious thought when she entered Lena's penthouse earlier that morning. She just knew that she needed to make sure Lena was okay. So after she leaves Lena and Sam, she finds herself in the clouds once again. She cries. Tears just flow down her face. They both looked so hurt and angry with her.

After taking a few moments to gather herself, Kara flies back to her loft. She finds Alex pouring herself a cup of coffee with Ruby still passed out in Kara's bed. It's so early that she will likely sleep for hours more. The moment Alex sets her eyes on her sister, she puts down her mug and holds her arms wide open. Kara rushes into the comfort Alex is offering.

"You took off without a word last night. Where were you all night?"

Kara shakes her head and squeezes her sister a shade tighter. She's trying to be so careful not to crush her.

"Come on, Kar. Let's order some of your favorite donuts, and I'll make you a mocha. Why don't you take a seat, huh?"

Kara holds on just for a few moments more before breaking away. She sits precariously at the island just after peaking her head at her occupied bed. In a whisper, "You are going to have to take Ruby to yours."

Alex's brows pull together as she starts to heat up the milk for her sister's mocha. "What? Why?"

The hero refuses to look over at her sister. Instead, she plays with the edge of her cape. "You are just going to have to do it, Al."

Alex puts everything down. She leans against the counter and crosses her arms. "Kar, you're going to have to explain."

"Are you saying you won't take Rubes?"

"Of course that isn't what I'm saying. But she's comfortable here. Why does she need to be moved?"

Kara finally looks Alex in the eyes. She wrings her cape even more. "Because her mother knows who I am... And- and she isn't happy."

Alex's eyes bug out. "What?!"

Kara quickly scolds her to keep her voice down, not wanting to disturb the young girl.

"Sorry, sorry. But seriously... Lena really told her?"

Kara just nods her head solemnly, her eyes flitting back down to the red fabric in her hands.

Alex rubs her face hard. She lets out a heavy sigh. "Is she mad for the same reason Lena is?"

"No... Yes? I don't know, Al. She's just mad. But I literally picked her up in the middle of the night to watch Lee to make sure she didn't try to... well, it wasn't the easiest situation to put her in."

"Is that where you were last night? How did the conversation go?"

"I- I wasn't there. I just stayed up in the clouds."

Alex goes back to making Kara's sugary drink. "Then how do you know Sam is mad at you?"

"Because I went over this morning. I might have been listening in on Sam's heartbeat to make sure everything was alright."

Alex snorts softly. "Might have?"

"I- I heard it spike this morning. I was concerned, so I flew over to make sure Lena was alright." Kara blinks rapidly to keep the water from building in her eyes.