Semicolon (Part 14)

"Kara, breathe. Just breathe, darling. Please..." Lena's voice takes on a desperate tone. She recognizes Kara's panic, and she's extremely worried about the stress that the heroine is putting her body through.

Alex rushes around to get another dose of the antianxiety meds for her sister. Kara pushed herself too fast. As much as she hates that state, she knows her sister needs it. Alex fumbles a bit with her hands shaking uncontrollably as she watches her sister go through this. It's absolutely terrifying.

Kara can barely breathe. Her lungs feel like they are on fire. Her eyes stay glued to the bandages around Lena's arms. She can't stop the thoughts. She can't stop the trembling. She just can't stop. She did this. She made Lena feel so cornered and betrayed and hurt and completely depressed that she thought she had only one way out. Lena can't forgive her. She shouldn't even try. Kara doesn't deserve being in her life... not anymore.

Lena's voice continues to break through. She can catch snippets of what is being said, but it has to be her mind playing tricks on her. It has to because in what world would the CEO be trying to comfort her and tell her it's not her fault.

"Darling, can you hear me?"

"Kara, this isn't your fault."

"Hey, look at me. Look at me."

Kara feels a soft hand bringing up her chin, forcing her face to move a certain way, but her eyes cannot let go of the bandages.

"Look in my eyes, Kara... Please? Please... look at me?"

Just as Alex pushes the plunger on the syringe, Kara manages to tear her eyes away from Lena's arms to those worried, green eyes. She watches Lena smile sadly at her. Her eyes flit down. She sees Lena's mouth moving, but she can't hear any of it. There's too much blood rushing in her ears; her heartbeat too loud.

Lena doesn't dare look away, doesn't dare risk losing Kara into her own mind again. She talks to Alex in a rushed whisper while maintaining eye contact with her sister, "Alex... I don't think she can hear me."

"No, I don't think she can either."

"What did you give her?"

"The same stuff I've given you. It should kick in soon. Just... just keep her looking at your eyes. She was clearly triggered by... well... by-"

Lena is quick to cut her off. "Yes, I figured that, too."

Kara's eyes start to droop. Whether from the meds or adrenaline crash, they can't be sure, but Kara is out after that. She slumps, and Alex has to catch her to ease her back into the sunbed.

Lena lets out a shaky breath while squeezing her eyes shut. A few tears are forced out. "Before... before she disappeared... Alex, I said the most horrible things. I- I told her it was all her fault. And now she blames herself."

"Lena, I need you to take a deep breath, too, because I cannot draw another dose without needing one myself. Just relax a moment, Lee." Alex feels like she just sprinted a marathon dealing with one issue after another.

Lena does her best to follow the instruction. She takes a shuttering breath. The longer she tries, the easier it gets with deeper and deeper breaths. When Lena opens her eyes finally, she feels heartbroken seeing the state of Kara. Her eyes flit to Alex, to somehow hope that she could make it all better... make it disappear... but Alex is slumped in the chair between the two women.

"Y-you should get some sleep," Lena whispers.

"We both should, but we need to talk about this. You and Kara both need to stop blaming yourselves. You both did things you regret. You both hurt each other as well as yourself, but you both need to let go. Let go and forgive yourselves."