The Escort (AU) Part 1

A/N: This is an AU. Kara is human and hasn't met Lena. Kara is in college and Lena is still running LCorp. Sorry, this turned out to be a long one, and will have a Part 2 posted soon.

"Alex, I don't know what I am going to do. There is no way I can afford next semester, and I can't get a loan that large. I think I am going to have to drop out," Kara says into the phone while walking across campus.

"Just ask Eliza for a loan, then. You know she would be more than happy to," Alex suggests.

Kara sighs heavily, "I can't do that, and you know that. Plus, this is way too much money. Not even Eliza has this much. I'll figure something out. Thanks for letting me rant."

"Anytime, sis. But seriously, let me know if you want to ask Eliza. I will go with you if it comes to that."

"I will. Bye."

Kara closes her eyes and pinches the bridge of her nose in frustration. It is the last semester before she graduates. She really doesn't want to have to take a break from school for a single semester. "Maybe I should go see Professor Grant for some advise," Kara thinks to herself.

"Keira, what can I do for you. Office hours aren't until tomorrow," Professor Grant says.

"I need some help brainstorming. I only have one semester left, but I can't seem to afford it. I've already talked to the financial aid people and the bank. I can't get a loan, and all the scholarships are tapped out. The University won't agree to a payment plan since I don't have anything lined up for post graduation. I don't know what to do!"

Professor takes a moment to look at Kara and sees the desperation. Professor Grant always had a soft spot for Kara. Kara is one of the best students she has ever had. She knows that she will go far in her career. "Well, Kara, I do have a potential solution, but I'm not sure if you will go for it."

"I will do anything, Professor Grant. Anything."

"Well, back when I was a reporter myself, I found a business being run by a powerful woman: Veronica Sinclair. She helps connect powerful people to her employees for a wide range of purposes. Her employees can pull in 5 figures easy in just one weekend. But, I have to warn you that it requires the utmost discretion and a certain amount of willingness to push your own personal boundaries."

Kara's crinkle becomes pronounced listening to Professor Grant's description. "Why exactly are these people making so much money? What is the job?"

Professor Grant sighs and decides to be direct, "It is an escort service, Kara. Powerful people will pay a lot of money for dates, publicity, and sex."

Kara's jaw drops to the floor. "Wh-what?! I thought you were a feminist, Professor! How could you be suggesting such a thing!"

"Kara, what is wrong with women getting paid for sex? The stigma attached to the career in sex work is a social construct. What is so inherently wrong with it? People like to have sex. People will pay to have sex. And some people want that as a career: to have sex. I'm not saying you have to do it permanently. But if you do it for just a few weekends, you could have enough money to pull yourself through this last semester and likely pay off your debt from the previous semesters. Just think about it, and let me know if you want to connect with Veronica."

Kara stumbles out of the office and back to her apartment. Thankfully all her roommates are out. Her thoughts are running rampant, trying to figure out what to do. She has no other viable option. Every job she finds pays at most $15/hour. It wouldn't be enough to cover her costs. She can't ask Eliza when she has already done more than enough for Kara. Kara has hooked up with people in college and does enjoy sex. "I could just do a couple of weekends and get out," Kara thinks. She opens up her laptop and emails Professor Grant.