Semicolon (Part 8)

Alex rushes back to the DEO, breaking several speed limits and traffic laws on the way. She didn't show it in front of Lena, but she's really scared for her sister. She has no idea where Kara was for the past couple days and has no clue what happened to her during that time. Alex waited on the helipad for her arrival, pacing the rooftop. She chews her bottom lip bloody. She runs through a million possibilities in her head as she waits to lay eyes on her sister. She tries to run through an infinite amount 'what if' scenarios to plan her course of treatment.

When the helicopter finally lands, Alex throws open the door of the chopper. She completely freezes. Kara looks like she lost 40 pounds that she didn't have to lose and so, so pale. She looks... sickly. Alex starts barking orders as she runs the gurney into the building. The moment she steps foot in the medical bay, she throws on the sunlamps and start her evaluation. Kara's covered in bruises. It looks like she is nearly starved to death. And she just looks weak - humanly so.

"Oh, Kar... What happened to you?"

Alex works alone, pushing everyone else out of the bay. She starts by inserting a tube feed. She's guessing that her sister never ate after the big fight on Shelley Island. She should have noticed. Sheshould have made sure that Kara took care of herself afterwards. She starts the high calorie formula at a slow pace. As much as she wanted to open the line to start replenishing her, it would only hurt Kara to have that big of a shock to her system. Alex starts to poke and prod the obvious injuries next. Definitely broken ribs and bruises down to the muscles. She tapes the injuries as best as she can. It's concerning that Kara's still unconscious, but that might be from dehydration. Alex tries putting in an IV line that isn't kryptonite tinged. It slides right in. She's powerless.

Alex changes her into some DEO sweats after hooking her up to vital monitors. She stares at her sister, deeply worried. There wasn't any evidence of a fight, but she still doesn't understand what kept Kara from eating and what caused her solar flare. It terrifies her down to her bones.

When Alex pulls up a chair to sit at Kara's bedside, she fishes out her phone. She opens Lena's contact and stares. She doesn't know what to say. Or how detailed she should get. Alex bites her lip again, reopening the tear. After a deep steadying breath, she types out her message. She hesitates before she presses send. She lets out the breath she was holding as she shoves her phone back into her pocket to resume her vigil over the hero of National City. Kara, you better be alright.

It doesn't take long for Alex to slip into a light sleep, leaning her head against the table Kara's occupying. She hasn't slept well since seeing Lena in the state she was in or how distraught Kara was as a result. Alex never thought that Lena would ever attempt something like that. She never thought that it could ever be a possible consequence of keeping Supergirl's secret. It's almost too much to think that it would have never happened if Kara had told Lena sooner... If Alex ever agreed to tell Lena sooner...

Alex wakes a bit annoyed. Her head gets jostled all over the place. When she finally awakens to the real world, it shocks her momentarily. Kara's seizing. She's seizing, and Alex wasted time being annoyed about how she was woken up. Alex sprints into action. She rolls her sister on her side to hold her. She shouts for help, causing a rush of DEO agents to come with with twitchy hands. Thankfully, one of them is medically trained and starts pushing the appropriate meds into the IV. Alex has tears streaming down her face as Kara's body slowly stops thrashing.

"Don't you ever scare me like that ever again, Kar," Alex threatens with no bite in her tone.

Alex pulls up her stool again and watches all the vital signs carefully. The only break in her concentration is a notification ding from her phone. She fishes it out without breaking her eye contact with the monitors. She's scared that the moment that she looks away, something will happen. So she sits there, clutching her phone for the longest time. She only looks down at her phone when she is confident that Kara is stable.