Semicolon (Part 3)

She groans and lifts her arm to hold her forehead that is absolutely pounding, but there is an immediate sharp pain that runs down her forearm. With a sharp inhale, she slowly blinks her eyes several times before being able to see anything clearly. She lets out a heavy sigh in disappointment. She woke up. She could have sworn that she she shouldn't. Arms curl around her stomach, and a soft moan tickles her neck. She's confused... until she sees the bandages around her wrists. Her bottom lip quivers as tears begin to fill her eyes. She's alive. She's alive. And she's not supposed to be. She didn't want to be. She tries to peel back the tape, but it's pulling the stitches taut. She grimaces at the sting.

"Lee?" Sam grumbles from behind her. "Go back to sleep. Five more minutes."

Lena freezes. Sam was here last night. Sam's still here. In a dead and monotone voice, she states more than asks, "What are you doing here, Sammy."

Another loud huff in annoyance. She didn't get much sleep with Supergirl coming in the middle of the night, holding onto Lena like she may disappear, her mind racing trying to figure it all out. She waited up until she got a text from Kara saying Supergirl dropped off Ruby at her loft. Despite Sam's exhaustion, she wakes up rapidly at that question. Her fear morphed into anger rather quickly. "What am I doing here? What do you mean 'what am I doing here'?"

"I think it's a fairly straight forward question."

Sam sits up so she can twist Lena's torso onto her back. She wants to look into those sharp eyes as they talk. Sam lets out a heavy breath when she sees the tears welling up in Lena's eyes. She softens and smiles sadly. "You're my best friend, Lee. I'm here because I love you. You've been there for me on some of my darkest days, and I want to be here for you."

Tears start to spill over and run down Lena's temples, into her hair. She wants to hide her face, but her arms are throbbing. So, she does her best to look away from the woman hovering above her. Instead of acknowledging anything that was just said, she mumbles out a completely valid misdirection. "Where's Ruby?"

"Supergirl took her to Kara's so she and Alex could watch her."

Lena scoffs loudly and more tears start to spill.

Sam's brows furrow and her head tilts. "Do we no longer like them?"

Lena gulps as her mind spirals. She still can't believe it. She hesitates. She hesitates telling Sam because it isn't her secret, but at second thought, she doesn't care. Maybe Sam already knows, and this will just be another nail in her own coffin. Maybe it'll just confirm that everyone else already knew, that she's just another Luthor to them. No one trusted her. The old adage of keep your friends close, but your enemy closer. She's the enemy. She's the villain.

"So, Supergirl just took Ruby home with her. Got it."

Lena can't bring herself to be ashamed of her snippy tone and caviler way of saying it. Her eyes lock onto Sam's, just to see if there is a lack of surprise. Just to confirm that she was the only one who was left out... not trusted... betrayed by everyone around her.

Sam just looks... confused? Her brows draw in deeper; her head tilts even more. "What do you mean?"

Lena gives her a pointed look. "You are a brilliant woman, Sam. You can figure it out if you didn't already know."

The bite in Lena's tone makes Sam raise a brow. "Already know what? I am brilliant... but I'm currently sleep deprived from a middle of the night house call and an adrenaline crash after seeing you in that state just a few hours ago. What do you mean Supergirl just took Rubes home? She took her to the Danvers sisters."