Semicolon (Part 11)

Kara flinches heavily when Alex wraps herself around her curled up form. She tries to scoot herself away from the physical comfort that her sister is trying to offer.

"Quit wiggling around," Alex lightly scolds her. "You are going to hurt yourself even more."

The blonde shrugs her shoulder again, and her elbow jabs backwards. Alex lets out a quiet 'oof' when it connects with her stomach. Kara is quick to roll over to check over her sister. She didn't mean to do that. She didn't mean it.

"Oh my Rao, Alex. Are you okay? I didn't mean to hit you. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"You are only human at this point. I'm okay, Kara. I promise. You just caught me off guard."

Kara's tears start up again as she stares as Alex holding her stomach.

"Hey, I'm okay. You didn't hurt me." Alex holds Kara's face in her hands. She wipes away the fresh tears as they come.

Kara can't hold back. She latches onto her sister in a tight, breathtaking hug. She lets loose heavy sobs. She embraces the pain that comes from her broken and bruised ribs. Her sister squeezes just as tight and lets her cry it all out. Kara can't help herself; she peers over Alex's shoulder to look at Lena. She watches the woman gulp and squeeze her eyes shut. She watches Lena tilt her chin further up, like she's trying to show her face to the gods, to beg for mercy.

It hurts Kara to look, and at the same time, she knows it'll hurt even more not to. She's not quite sure how she can feel so much pain and love in the same breath. It's completely overwhelming, consuming... intense. Part of her feels shame. She knows Lena can hear her crying like a giant, blubbering baby. She shouldn't have told her to stay, but if she hadn't... well she might not have had this chance to see her... to look at her like she is right now.

"Kar, we need to take it easy on your ribs." Alex tries to get her sister to lessen her grip, but she doesn't. The crying doesn't lessen, and her sister firmly keeps her chin hooked over Alex's shoulder. "You're safe. I've got you."

Kara doesn't want to stop staring at Lena. She doesn't want to look away, afraid this will be the last time she can lay eyes on her. It feels like if she even blinks for longer than a second, Lena will disappear. She'll take off and be gone forever. Lena's smart enough to hide from her. She's smart enough and rich enough to hide forever. It breaks Kara's shattered heart even more to even think about never getting to see her best friend again... never getting a chance at the life she would fantasize about... never even having the potential to hear those three little words from the woman she loves...

"Hey, what's going on in your head?" Alex probes gently.

Kara doesn't respond.

"Kar?" Alex asks. She taps against Kara's shoulder to see if her sister can even hear her. Alex's nerves grow with the lack of response. "You with me, Kara?"

Kara's fingers grip onto Alex's back, almost clawing her closer.

"Hey. come back to me, Kara." Alex's voice takes on an anxious edge and raises in volume. "Take a deep breath for me. You need to breathe, Kar. Just breathe."

Kara's eyes stay fixed on Lena's face. She barely registers her sister's voice in her ear. Her breath catches as she watches Lena's face slowly turns toward her. Kara knows what's coming. She knows what's coming, and she's not sure if she's prepared. She doesn't know if she can handle it, but she knows she can't miss it either. She holds her breath. She doesn't know why, but she feels like if she breathes, she will change it somehow. It'll change the moment in some irrevocable and devastating way that she can't predict. She doesn't want any interruptions. She needs to witness it. With every fiber of her being she needs to witness it and simultaneously can't watch it unfold. She watches carefully, every microsecond, of Lena's face turning her way. It feels like it's happening too slow and too fast. She watches eyelashes flutter briefly before eyelids pull back, revealing piercing green eyes. Green eyes looking deep into Kara's soul. They look so... hurt and lost and confused... and sorrowful.