Semicolon (Part 9)

Lena sighs under all the covers. She sent Alex that text without much conscious thought. She has no clue how she is going to tell Sam that she is going to go see Kara, but she knows that her best friend is going to be upset with the news. Lena hides from the world under her duvet for as long as she can. It's only when she starts to get restless and receives a confirmation text from Alex that she manages to pull herself out of bed. Regardless what anyone says, she needs to see her. She needs to lay eyes on Kara.

Unsurprisingly, Ruby is still asleep on Sam's lap. Lena wanders out slowly, trying not to disturb the young girl. She gives Sam a loaded look. They've been best friends for so long, they don't need to rely on speech to communicate. She gives an apologetic glance before nodding at the door to indicate that she's going to be heading out. The CEO recognizes the moment that it clicks in Sam's head.

Lena's about to do something that Sam knows she isn't going to like. And with the situation they find themselves in, it has to involve Kara. With the recent news on Kara's location with the head nod, Sam has to assume that Lena wants to lay eyes on her. It makes Sam freeze up; the moment that she does, Lena isn't going to want to leave the city. Sam gives her a look of not necessarily disappointment, but a look of 'do you know what you are doing?'

Lena shot her back a look of 'you don't get to question me right now; you're on thin ice.' Sam at least had the decency to look apologetic for her lying earlier. Sam lets out a quiet but heavy sigh. She gives her a worried look. She can only hope that her best friend will be careful and protect herself. Lena just nods in understanding before she goes back into her bedroom to throw on some fresh clothes. She sweated through this last outfit with her panic attack and sleeping under a million blankets.

Lena makes sure to throw on clothes that hide her bandages. None of her normal shoes fit over the wrappings on her feet, so she opts to put on some comfortable slippers that add extra cushion. She thinks it over before she heads back out to Sam's knowing look. Is she ready to see her? Is she ready to see the woman vulnerable and unconscious? It was always unsettling to see the heroine like that, but she can imagine that it's going to be even harder now that she knows it's Kara. Lena takes a deep breath. She grabs her phone and walks back out.

"Lee," Sam whisper yells, "wait." Sam carefully maneuvers her daughter back onto the couch. She tip toes over to the CEO and wraps her up in a giant hug. She keeps whispering into Lena's ear. "I'm so sorry, Lee. I- I'm still trying to figure out how to support you during all this. I know I've messed up, and I want you to be careful. You are my only concern in this. I'm always on your side, and I'll say it again. You were never the villain. What do you need from me right now?"

Lena's eyes tear up at Sam's confession. She stood there with her arms limp at first, but by the end, she is squeezing Sam back for all she is worth. The tears spill down her face. She doesn't trust her voice at first, so they stand together in their embrace for several minutes. "Thank you, Sammy. I- I know you are just trying to do what is best for me... You didn't do it to manipulate me. You did it because you love me. Please, just don't do it again. I- I don't think I would have a chance to make it through this without you..."

"Of course, Lee. I'll always be here for you. Always. Do- do you want me to come with you?"

Lena shakes her head minutely. "No... I need to do this on your own. And you need to be here for Ruby. I'll make sure to text you."

"Well, you can always call me in for backup." Sam finally pulls back out of the hug. Lena wipes away her tears. They stare at each other for a few seconds longer before they smile and nod.

When Lena gets to the DEO, she has to take a few deep breaths to center herself. This is the first time she is going to step foot in the building with her eyes wide open. This is where all her former friends work: Winn, Nia, J'onn, Alex, Kara. Lena walks in slowly, almost meekly. She gets through security without an issue. Someone offers to walk her to the med bay, but there is no need. She's been there plenty of times before. She moves about the space, trying to avoid any and all attention. She feels like an idiot. How could have she not known that Kara was Supergirl?