Chapter 3

As soon as Carla knew her children were safe, she opened the door. She was unaware that the both of them were hidden in the shadows and listened in on her conversation with the man outside.

"Hannes!" A warm smile spread on her cheeks when she recognized the blond-haired man who turned red when he met the loving look on the woman's face. Upstairs in the shadows Eren made a show of gagging when he watched those lovestruck adults.

"Carly, hey...I...ah...I wanted to know how you're doing?", he stuttered with a hand behind his head and a nervous grin on his face.

"Just fine. Thank you, Hannes. How is the military treating you?", their mother asked kindly, crossing the arms in front of her and tilting her head to the side.

"Ah...that's...that's good. The training is hard, but that was to be expected.", Hannes laughed slightly, showing his teeth. "And how are the children? I heard Eren got into some trouble today?"

"The usual, thank you for asking.", Carla answered and Eren rolled his eyes. Was there by any chance anyone out there who didn't know about his misdeeds during the day? "Mikasa and Eren are doing fine so far. I will send them out in the woods soon to chop some firewood."

"Ah, because of your injury you can't go yourself, I know.", Hannes grumbled, his attitude truly filled with consternation. "How about I go out there and chop some for you all? I have to anyway. Can't hurt to bring some more with me."

Mikasa leaned over to Eren and whispered into his ear: "He really does love her, doesn't he?"

Eren simply shrugged.

He didn't entertain the thought of anyone stealing his mom from him. No one deserved her endless kindness and the warmth she seemed to carry around with her all the time.

After his father he didn't even think that his mother would ever fall in love with another man. But betrayal and hurt had hardened her soul. If she was ready to fall in love again...

Eren sighed, not all too happy with the thought. But when he saw how loving Hannes treated his mom, how he was always concerned for their wellbeing...maybe there was a guy deserving of her love.

"Please, don't burden yourself with our chores. They both need to get out for once. And with the news spreading in Shiganshina..." She rubbed over her forehead, the sigh she heaved filled with sorrow. "I want them out of this hell, Hannes. They are too young to deal with the horrors of war."

Mikasa and Eren looked at each other with widened eyes, color draining from their faces.

War?, Mikasa mouthed at her brother who shook his head with a pounding heart and confusion, listening further to his mother and Hannes, who nodded in understanding.

"I came here to escape a war in my life.", Carla explained to him. "And I'm not sure I can survive this one...but please, come in. Talking outside of the house – excuse my impolite behavior."

"Oh, please, don't mind me. I was just passing by to look after you.", Hannes declined friendly. "The coming days will be hard on all of us. If you need anything, let me know. I owe you a great deal."

"Thank you." She stood on her toes and kissed the man on the cheek, to which her children looked hastily away, feeling a wave of nausea coming up at the sight.

After closing the door tightly behind her Carla shouted: "You can come down now. Don't think I haven't noticed you lurking up there."

Ashamed they came down the steps, waiting for their mother to explain everything.

Sighing again Carla closed her eyes, hands put on her waist.

"Let's not talk about this down here. You need to go to sleep."