Chapter 17

Armin POV

"The advisors have arrived! They..." Armin's strained voice faltered. "Eren?"

Eren sat in the alcove that surrounded the glass of the window. One foot was propped up on the stone. His arm rested on it. He was quiet.

Thinking.

"Eren, what's wrong? We have to go. The advisors will only be here for a few hours. We have to carry out our plan or else we will-"

"Armin, do you believe in karma?"

Armin stood still. The question wasn't new to him. He had thought of the very same after the attack on Shiganshina.

"I can't believe in something I haven't seen proof of." Armin chose his words carefully. "If karma really existed, don't you think your father would have been punished for his sins by now?" Why did Eren mention it now? Because they finally took the first steps in putting their plan into action? "Come on. We have to hurry if we want to intercept them in time."

Eren sighed, a sound so unnatural for his otherwise furious and arrogant character.

"Where is Mikasa?"

"She is waiting for us. The advisors will be near the servant track shortly."

They both knew what that meant for them.

"Then let's go.", Eren said, the confident and calm fury in his steps astounding. Eren led Armin through the corridors, winking and smiling at the people they passed and in moments like this he knew he would never need any proof of Eren's heritage.

His self-aware speech, the way he didn't hesitate to do what he had in mind at all costs – every fiber of his being burned and Eren unconsciously made sure that everyone around him sensed it.

They strode through the corridor and soon they saw the familiar, raven-black hair of their friend.

"They will be here soon. Hurry.", was the only thing she said to them and they nodded in understanding. If they wanted this plan to work, they had to stay attentive at all times. This would be their only chance for a while. They couldn't afford to get distracted.

They arrived in the main corridor of the palace. It led from the main hall over stairs made of stone up into the highest towers and was lightened by sunlight flooding the floor through the many windows.

If the advisors were to come through the corridor, they were heading to a giant room filled with shelves, tables and chairs. Armin had been in there only once but it was enough to send a shiver down his back at the memory.

Something in that room screamed at him to run away. He knew by now of many dangerous and disgusting deals that had been made in there. Contracts that had killed many people. Wars had been started around those tables.

Armin and Eren hid behind the corner next to the broad corridor, waiting for their targets to appear. Armin felt sweat prickling on his skin but he didn't dare to move his hands. He kept his breaths as small and inaudible as possible.

"Their? There have been more but the King himself?"

"Yes. The King's little sister. Faye Yaeger."

He shook his head.

He would have enough time later on to tell Eren what he had found out. The royal household was keeping so many secrets Armin was surprised not a single one of them had spilled yet.

Eren stabbed him in the side with his ellbow  and Armin looked up at him from his kneeling position. Eren nodded in the direction of the people arriving.