Chapter 31

Levi POV

Levi leaned against a pillar of the hall, a drink in his hand. Not to get drunk but to keep his fingers busy or he would probably kill himself if he were to stay in here any longer with all those dumb nobles.

Watching Erwin and his fiancée wasn't how he had imagined his evening – not that he had tried to imagine it in any way at all but he was certain it wouldn't get any worse – so he let them alone, ignoring the pleading glimmer in his friend's eyes.

He couldn't tell what was wrong with the older man.

On every other occasion Erwin would flirt with the beautiful woman. Would laugh with her, treat her like the sweet girl she was. Luckily, she hadn't caught more than a single sentence from the conversation they had.

Somehow, Erwin seemed to be interested in that blond servant that meandered through the crowd. Levi watched him closely, solely concentrating on the object of Erwin's interest. The boy was about to serve one of those irritating girls in a dress as big as a tent a drink when some asshole bumped into him.

The servant tripped and Levi saw his eyes widen when he spilled the liquid all over the noble girl's dress. She shrieked in shock and disgust, alerting the people around her. But when they saw what the ruckus was about, they turned away, not minding the distressed guest.

"You bastard!", she cried while a friend of her gave her a tissue with an expression that was only partly sorry for what had happened to the girl.

A truly spiteful society.

In any other case he would have stayed away from the trouble. But then he noticed Erwin was staring at the servant, a shadow looming over his dark eyes and his stance a tad too tense. Marie opened her mouth, saying something to her fiancé.

But the man was definitely not listening to her and Levi knew that he was short of running over to the servant.

To protect him? Fuck. Erwin, what the hell are you up to?

Erwin was about to move. He could read the blond's body language better than anyone.

A second later Levi was standing behind the servant.

Just in time. He sent Erwin a look that said enough for the man to stay away from the scene.

Don't fuck this up.

He would have to talk to his friend about this mess before his fiancée would catch wind of whatever it was that worried the man so much in the last days.

When the girls took notice of him, their eyes grew wide as plates and they hastily tried to get their robes together. Not that Levi would be interested in any of those arrogant brats.

"I thought I told you before to be careful, boy.", Levi said. "Excuse us, ladies. My servant won't cause you any more trouble."

He dragged the boy with him, away from the girls too mesmerized by his presence to protest. The servant was just as speechless, following the man without a word of complaint. He stopped walking when they were hidden behind a pillar of the hall.

"I...thank you. But...why?", the servant stammered, his eyes frightful. His clenched fists were shaking and he avoided looking right into Levi's eyes.

"Don't think I did it for you.", Levi snarled and didn't miss the flinch of the servant. "I was trying to keep a friend from doing something fucking stupid."

The music around them was loud enough to keep their conversation as private as it was currently possible and Levi kept an eye out on all of the suspicious looking people in the room, not about to attract any more attention on them than necessary.

The boy nodded, not questioning his motives any further. A little smile tugged at his mouth and he bowed with his eyes closed and hands at his sides.

"Thank you again."

When the boy turned around to leave him, Levi was about to grab his arm. But just when he thought he could reach the boy, the music stopped abruptly and the whispers and chatter in the throne room quietened down.

Everyone's eyes – Levi's included – were fixed on the tall man stepping onto a platform at the end of the room, high enough so that everyone could see him up there. His dark hair was pressed down by the golden crown on his head and calculating eyes flew over the crowd, certainly not missing the smallest detail.

"I welcome you all, dear Lords. And Ladies.", he added as if it was only an afterthought and Levi made a tsking sound. He looked over at the blond servant who was hidden behind the pillar, his gaze directed at the king that had made his presence as annoyingly confident as ever.

The shaking in his hands hadn't subsided.

Levi narrowed his eyes at the boy's strange behavior.

"Twenty years ago I have taken over the throne after the death of my father.", his speech started and Levi was short of yawning. Why the fuck had he decided to stay by Erwin's side? He could have taken a long, relaxing walk with Izzy instead.

"And to celebrate the beginning of my reign-" As if that was something worth to celebrate. "I have decided to invite you all once a year on this very day. Not only to celebrate but also to honor the years without my father and this time the absence of my beloved eldest, Crown Prince Zeke Yaeger."

Levi listened up, his arms crossed. The servant swallowed loudly and took a step back, hiding his hands behind his back with his head lowered. He should have asked for his name.

"Those last months have been hard on the royal household. My son would have loved to be with us today." For a second a shadow darkened King Grisha's face and the man kept his hand crossed behind his back. "I am all the gladder to be finally able to call my second son home. This feast is not only for me but also for him."

He looked around the room, his eyes meeting no one in particular.

"My dearest son, I invited you here tonight because I wish to see you again. Your place is by my side." Why did it sound more like a threat than anything? "So now that everyone is present and ready to welcome you back in the place where you belong – show yourself!"

For a second everything was quiet. No one dared to breath. Not a word was spoken.

Levi shuddered, feeling like something was crawling over his skin when suddenly the doors to the throne room opened with a thunderous bang.

Everyone was now staring at the mysterious man standing there, a black mask covering his upper face.

His chestnut-like hair was as dark as his father's. He wore a coat that reached down to his ankles, as black as the darkness outside the throne room and a broad, leathery belt around his waist. The collar framed his small throat and brought out the young and striking features of the boy's face that could be seen.

Levi's breath caught in his throat. He could neither tear his eyes away from the majestic man – nor from the silver crown adorning his hair. 

(..........)