Chapter 4

"I heard Mikasa and Annie are friends now."

Jean's words brought out the protective side in Eren.

"Being a friend of Annie means being in trouble.", he grumbled, tossing the stick in his hands over to Armin. Jean caught it for the blond, since he was too wrapped up in reading the book on his lap to notice his surroundings.

"And being a friend of yours doesn't?", Jean contradicted with a frown on his horseface.

"Shut up. How do you even know about it?"

"I saw them together when I got something from the market 'few days ago."

Eren gave him a vacuous hum as an answer.

"Hey, Eren! Jean!", a cheery voice greeted them. Coming along the way with those sparky freckles and glowing in the sunlight like a saint Marco ran up to them, Ymir and Connie in tow.

Ymir only ever scowled at them, not caring what other people might think about her mean face while Connie grinned with his hands behind his neck and winked at them.

"Waiting for me, I see.", the bald boy shouted and clapped their hands together. Eren gave the smaller one a playful swat on the head.

"Yeah, you wish, baldy."

"Where's Mikasa? Not with you for once?"

Eren let go of the boy, leaning back on the barrel he was sitting on, bathing in the sunrays dancing across his tanned face. Behind him there was the supporting wall of Armin's house.

After their talk with their mother last night Eren had decided that he definitely needed a distraction from all the shit going on.

Talking to his friends and laughing about the same shit as ever was just what he was looking for.

"She's at home, helping mom with something."

"Someone has to after all. You male pieces of useless shit are not much of a help anyway.", Ymir said with the same eyeroll as ever. Her words might sound mean but there was a good core in that rotten soul of his friend.

"Talk for yourself, Ymir.", Connie retorted with a smirk. "Isn't your stepfather alone right now? Doing some manly work you could easily help him with?"

"Sitting around, drunken to unconsciousness and hitting on his own stepdaughter." Ymir laughed humorlessly, pushing Eren away so she could sit next to him on the sunbathed barrel. "Yeah, fucking manly indeed."

"Didn't know he was still like that.", Eren murmured apologetically and nudged her with his elbow in a friendly way of silent support. Ymir simply shrugged her shoulders.

"Beats me. Marco, any luck in seducing that harvest boy yet?"

Marco laughed sheepishly at her direct question. Eren noted Jean's strangely red face and how he looked away from the freckled boy, sorrow in his eyes.

"Ymir, you know that it's impossible to be with someone from the same gender in Eldia."

The girl shrugged and put one foot on the barrel, slinging an arm around the fabric covering it.

"Just be clever about it."

"Ymir, stop encouraging him to do something like that. You know the risk of having a relationship like that." Reiner showed up from behind Armin's house. Berthold, a neighbor of Eren, followed his best friend and smiled gently at the group.

"You don't get to tell him something like that. You're as straight as an arrow."

"And that coming from the girl who fucked that female soldier a year ago. Didn't she tell you she would come back for you, Ymir?"