Chapter 89

Eren POV

Connie and Sasha were both standing close to him with Mikasa guarding the door so they wouldn't get disturbed.

Eren inhaled deeply, concentrating on his insides. On the quiet voice that belonged to his grandmother, his mother and finally – himself.

This was a risky move and he couldn't tell what would happen once he let go of the restraints set on his powers.

He felt Eryn's presence stronger than ever, calming him down and at the same time awakening the rage he held suppressed in his guts. She freed the fear of what would happen to his friends should he finally lose control.

Connie and Sasha both held their weapons tightly. Connie was armed with a few daggers, sharp enough to draw blood the instant it touched skin and Sasha raised an arrow at him, the bow in the tight hold of her calloused hands.

Both of them watched him with narrowed eyes, their skin white as the snow outside. The rumbling of the storm would help them cover up their experiment, just like Eren had predicted.

Eryn...time to show me what I am capable of.

He focused on the energy around his core. Remembered what he had felt during the ceremony. They had attacked him. Threatened him. Angered him.

So he searched for rage and fear and the desperate need to escape his own skin and formed it into a living being. A being that shrieked inside of him, loud enough to bring him to his knees with a pained expression on his face.

"Eren!", Connie and Sasha exclaimed but Eren threw a hand up, keeping them from coming any closer to him.

"Don't! Stay there!", he rasped and locked eyes with the ground.

Come to me.

Emotions whirled around him, inside him and then a blinding light forced him to close his eyes. He held his breath and waited for it to disappear or for the roaring sounds around him to diminish.

"Eren."

His head ached and he pressed his palms against it. But the simple contact of skin against skin hurt him enough to force out an anguished scream. It was all too much!

Eren felt his head split in two halves only to rearrange itself anew and it hurt!

A storm of voices screamed at him, adding to his pain and he knelt on the ground, pressing his hands against his head. He waited for it to stop, to end – and if his death was the only way to end this then he would gladly accept it.

He whined lowly, a feverish feeling building in his chest and his head, making it hot and cold at once.

"Eren."

He wanted it to stop...

"Eren, stay strong."

He wanted it all to stop...

"Remember why you are doing this, my love. Don't let the horrors of the past take over!"

A deep inhale. A shaky exhale. He concentrated on his core, crying out softly at the feeling of something prodding and poking at it. Yet he didn't stop. He pushed and pushed and pushed until the feeling subsided.

And then there was nothing but a strange calmness settling in his chest. Making his soul whole again. He breathed in and it was like the first breath he had ever taken in his life, painful and prompting him to scream but he did it anyway.

"I am so proud of you, my love."

Eryn...

His back bended and ached and hurt and it was everywhere and nowhere and it was too fucking loud and too quiet and he needed to stop! He bared his teeth, digging his nails into the wood beneath him and inhaled another time, forcing the storm inside his heart to quiet down enough for him to gain consciousness again.