Chapter 49

Erwin POV

"We will defeat them in the north.", King Grisha said, gesturing to one of the positions of their army on the giant map spread out on the floor of the throne room. "From there we will go East and see if the information of our spies are correct."

Erwin glanced over to Levi, who didn't even react when he heard the King's words. Nothing but the slight narrowing of his eyes could have told anyone just how annoyed he was by the man's attitude.

Levi trusted his spies with his life. He had personally chosen them for the mission and he hated nothing more than to face the King's doubt.

"What will we do about your son, Your Majesty?", one of the braver generals, Neil, asked with arms crossed behind his back. When the King's icy glare met his, he shuddered visibly and lowered his eyes at the map, not daring to face Grisha again.

"We are still searching for the monster.", the King said, a strange glint in his eyes.

Erwin saw Levi wince softly at the hateful nickname for the young prince. Their prince.

The only heir still alive.

The greatest threat for the King.

"Your Majesty,", another general, who's name Erwin didn't care to remember, intervened. "Although you are still healthy and as strong as ever – the people start to question who will take over this throne once you-"

"I don't think we need to discuss my death when I am, as you said, healthy. At least healthy enough to throw your ungrateful ass into one of our prison cells.", the King snarled and wild flames of anger and a bit of insanity flickered in his eyes when he raised his chin at the other man's proposal. "I will reign over Eldia until my very last breath. And as far as I am concerned, I don't think I will leave this throne and my kingdom so soon."

- - -

"I hate his presumptuous ass.", Levi grumbled and Erwin cracked a small smile at his friend's grumpy behavior. He was just glad that the smaller man kept his opinions to himself until there was no one but them to hear them.

"The situation is critical, Levi.", Erwin said, an arm on the weapon tied to his waist. "I trust that your spies are telling the truth but Grisha..."

"Is an asshole about it.", Levi snarled. "They would die for their kingdom. And I would trust them with my life."

"I know that. They know that. But the King..." Erwin sighed, his thoughts going back to Armin and the poor condition he was in.

"He doesn't care about others." Levi crossed his arms behind his back, his emotions far from being on plain display for someone passing by.

"He cared about his wife and his son."

"And we all know which son that would be.", Levi spat and Erwin closed his mouth. The man was right. And he knew it. But saying it out loud felt like a betrayal. "Accept the truth, Eyebrows. He fucking hates that second brat of a son. Zeke's death was just an unfortunate event for His Majesty."

Erwin didn't answer.

They walked side by side through the corridors, the stony hallways next to the garden their final destination. Although Erwin would have liked nothing more than to just go and visit Armin in his chambers...he had responsibilities.

And a ton of other excuses why he couldn't go and take care of the adorable blonde who was in pain because he hadn't looked after him after the servant had been falsely accused of treason and arrested by the King he served.

- - -

"Leeevviiiii!"

"Get away from me, four-glasses!"

"Levi, let go of their hair."

"They are fucking insane, Eyebrows!"

Hanji cracked up, wrapping an arm around the shoulders of their short friend. Those crazy eyes, hidden behind a pair of shining glasses, were trained on both men and a wide smile appeared on their face.

"I missed you, my little grumpy.", they giggled and Erwin dragged them away from Levi, who already balled his fists in case he needed to get rid of them in a much more violent way. Not that he would ever hurt them in earnest.

"Why don't you ever visit me?", Hanji pouted and crossed their arms in front of their chest. "Those plants won't ever talk back to me!"

"Ever wondered why that is?", Levi grumbled. Their friend threw an arm around Erwin's shoulders, pushing them against each other with a loud laugh.

"Careful, Levi. They might outgrow you one day!"

"That's it!"

Hanji was already gone, sprinting through the gardens with Levi on their heels, the black-haired male's expression furious. Erwin watched them racing around the bushes and plates on the ground. Hanji's laugh echoed through the garden as well as Levi's quiet curses.

He smiled softly, the bickering of his friends a sight he had missed in those dark times since the war had started and dragged all the laughter and happiness down into the abyss of blood and cruelty.

Erwin sighed, a hand rubbing his pounding temples.

He would forever be loyal to his kingdom.

But with every strategy he planned, with every battlefield they entered – they caused even more chaos and disaster.

With his head tilted back he enjoyed the warm rays of sunshine on his face.

Someday...someday this will all be over...

- - -

Levi POV

"Levi! Stop it! Ah!", Hanji shouted, laughing like crazy. Finally he had caught her and together they rolled over the ground, while Levi tickled them enough to make them breathless and unable to defend themselves.

"You had it coming, shitty four-eyes!"

"Nah! Never!"

"Levi, let them go.", Erwin chided him and got him away from Hanji. He helped the still snickering general up on their feet. "Why must you always taunt him? You know how it ends."

"Tell me about him!", Hanji begged them suddenly and beamed at them while they jumped up and down with the corners of their mouth tugged up enough to nearly reach their ears. The brownish bun of hair at the back of their head followed the movement.

Levi and Erwin shared a confused gaze and Levi raised an eyebrow.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"The prince! Erwin won't tell me anything.", Hanji muttered with a short glance in said man's direction. "It is said that he danced with one of our scariest generals. In front of everyone's eyes." This time their eyes were trained on their short friend.

"Tsk. So what if that brat danced with me?", he snapped. "He was taunting his father and now that bastard wants him dead. Mission accomplished, Your Highness."

"Tell me! Tell me everything!", Hanji pleaded and folded her hands with wide eyes staring right into Levi's.

"What is there to tell? He's a brat. Brave enough to face his father in front of all those people.", he mumbled and ignored the slight heat in his cheeks as he remembered his...the prince.

Those breathtaking wings and the otherworldly aura that had been a part of his every motion.

Someday...someday I'll see you again...

(Soorrryyy this took so long! 

Levi apparently misses his little prince and Erwin doesn't know what to do anymore...

Hope you liked it! Never hesitate to comment!)