Chapter 98

Mikasa POV

The plan was crazy. And if it had been anyone but her brother asking her to do this for him, she would have denied her help for certain. But as things were, she owned him as much for her ugly words.

Blaming him for Kou's death had been awful and unjust and no amount of anger on her part could excuse this kind of behavior towards her own family. Which was the reason for her sneaking through Commander Smith's office, flinching at the slightest of sounds.

Armin had taken over the part where he had to lure the Commander out of the room and Mikasa knew that she couldn't have given him a better excuse to talk to the man. Something was definitely wrong with the both of them and she hated to see her friend like that – quiet, tired...

He had been like that before, a short while after their escape into the forests.

It had taken all of them a while to fully understand what had happened. Who they had lost. Armin had been one of the first and soon enough he had stopped sleeping all together. At least the crying had subsided a few days after.

Mikasa shook her head. This was not the time to think about her friend. This was about her mission.

She put aside a stack of piles and was careful not to mess anything up so that the Commander wouldn't notice any significant changes in his office. Cursing under her breath she went over to one of the shelves and searched through the books and everything in between.

But there was nothing of importance. Nothing about the king's armies...

Damn it!

Sweat started to form in her neck and she chewed on her lip, breathing shallowly. Where would a man like Erwin place his most important information? She turned her head in all directions, then fell to her knees and started to crawl all over the floor. Maybe there was a loose board or something.

Nothing. Nothing at all.

She went over the whole desk again, turning around every single piece of paper and only stopped to take a look at a file concerning the Crown Prince's death in battle. She scoffed and a small smirk danced over her lips.

The irony...

Suddenly there was a voice outside of the door.

"...is gone."

"I know but why..."

She hastily put away all of the papers and fell on the ground, cowering underneath the table as the door got pushed open. Mikasa held still, holding her breath. Her heart was racing and her mind a storm of wild thoughts. If she was discovered, everything would go to hell.

"The General isn't here. Maybe outside with that fucking beast of his.", a stranger's voice said. "Who knows what he does with that monster?"

"That thing killed more than a few men in battle.", a second voice responded. "I wouldn't underestimate her. So, why are we here? You should start looking for whatever you need. I don't think the Commander-"

"Yeah, yeah. I know. I just need something regarding the General's next lesson in martial arts." The stranger laughed. "Not sure if I'll keep it up, though. He's kind of hard on everyone. Ah, there it is."

"Well, then hurry up. My girl is waiting for me and you know how she gets when she's worried."

"Coming, coming."

A second later the door fell shut and Mikasa finally dared to breath. And just like that she was up again, continuing her search while pleading to the Gods that Armin could hold Erwin by his side long enough.