Chapter 62

Armin POV

Standing up proved to be a harder challenge than expected.

Armin inhaled deeply, ignoring the pain that spread in his abdomen and the tingling in his limbs while he tried to get out of bed for once. His body longed to move around and although his strength still failed him, he wasn't ready to give up yet.

He turned his head to face the sunlight shining through the open window by his side.

With closed eyes he inhaled the warm air fluttering around his head, taking strands of fair hair with it. It was quiet in Erwin's chamber, the energy of all the mornings back in Shiganshina cursing through his veins in an effort to calm him.

His heart ached with longing and the pain of missing what had once been his home.

Just as he was bout to stand up on his wobbly legs, brows furrowed in concentration and knees shaking, the door behind him burst open with a bang.
Armin jerked around, almost losing his balance.

He gripped the edge of the bed hard enough for his knuckles to go white and his eyes widened when Mikasa stormed in, dragging a deathly pale Eren inside.

Armin opened his mouth to ask if they were okay. To ask if something had happened.

But the pure horror in Eren's eyes told him enough. He looked like back then in the woods.

Back then when they buried the corpses lying around with blood splattered across their lifeless bodies and their scared faces.

Their neighbours.

Their friends.

Their families.

Mikasa closed the door shut behind them with more force than necessary and exhaled a shuttering breath.

All the blood had left her face as well and she swallowed hard as if she wanted to avoid vomiting on the awfully clean floor.

Watery eyes found his and looked away just as fast.

Armin watched Eren tumbling over to the fire that had stopped burning hours ago, leaning against the bed with his heart beating nervously.

Eren leaned over, rested his hand on his knees and heaved, broken and dry.

"I heard some ruckus...", Armin said, unsure of how to broach the subject. Something disturbing must have happened to cause such a reaction in the otherwise so stoic looking Mikasa and he wasn't sure he wanted to know what it was. "And the guards...were shouting."

Mikasa closed her eyes.

Her mouth was nothing but a thin line.

It felt like an eternity of silence in the room, taking the air away and leaving them breathless and on the edge of panic.

Armin's lungs suddenly felt too little to contain all the air he needed and he wanted to breathe in deeply again and again, yet he didn't dare to move an inch.

He was afraid of what might happen if he broke whatever tension lay upon them.

"It's Hannes.", Mikasa finally said, the sound a broken gasp. "He....the king..."

No...

Armin felt his mouth hanging open.

The tears prickling in the corners of his eyes.

Hannes...

He had been a friend to all of them.

To all the children in Shiganshina.