Chapter 64

Mikasa POV

Almost there...almost...

A shiver ran down her spine as cold wind hit her head once she reached the top of the wall. Arms, aching and burning all the way to her shoulders, pulled her up and with a gasp she struggled to get a hold on the wet stones.

The dirt and the little pebbles under her nails hurt as she dragged her exhausted body over the edge, cutting open a spot below her ribs in the process.

She hissed but kept going.

Finally.

Finally she fell down on the broad top of the walls that surrounded the palace and breathed in the cold air so deeply that she feared her lungs wouldn't hold in all of it.

Gusts of wind, icy enough to bite at her skin like tiny teeth of a dragon, forced her hair out of her face.

A moan behind her made her turn around to face her brother. Eren had been closely behind her the whole time but even he, who had always been more agile than her, was nearly wheezing.

The relief on his face when he pushed himself up the edge almost made her smile.

"And here I thought...this stupid wall...would never...end.", he puffed and let himself fall down face first with an exhausted sigh.

She knelt down next to him, inspecting the scratches and the blood on his hands.

Not that deep. He'll manage.

"Get up, Eren.", she urged him. "We have to get to the forest."

"A minute, Kasa.", he mumbled with closed eyes. The wind picked at his hair, dark like melt chocolate. It had been a risk to take off the wig but Eren had insisted on showing up as nothing but himself before the Queen.

"We don't have a minute.", she grumbled softly and helped him up on his knees.

Eren opened his eyes and stared up at her.
For some seconds it was quiet, except for the hard wind picking at their clothes and drying the bloody patches on their skin.

"We have to get off this bloody wall too, don't we?"

He sounded so defeated that a grin wormed its way on Mikasa's face. She supported him while he tried to regain some of his balance.

His eyes wandered over the endless landscapes of Eldia and Mikasa followed his gaze.

Fields as far as the eye would reach with villages dropped in between them like lost toys in a game of children lined the lands.

Above them the moon cast down its eerie light, milking the grounds. All over the sky Mikasa's eyes found stars bright and beautiful enough to put the sun and moon to shame.

Bats passed them, their wings ready to fight against the wind and fireflies danced by their sides as if they wanted to seduce them with their light.

She turned her head.

Mikasa was used to see hardness in her brother's eyes, every emotion from dedication to hate.

But this gentle shyness was new to her.

"My father doesn't deserve all this.", he whispered in a tone resembling fearfulness.
Mikasa stayed quiet, gave him a bit of time to get used to the view of what would soon be his kingdom to rule, his people to protect.

After a few more moments passed, she carefully pushed him towards the edge of the wall.

"Let's go, Eren. She won't wait forever."
Instead of complaining about her nagging as usual, he nodded and turned around, searching for some hole to put his foot in to start their descent.