Chapter 68

Levi POV

Izzy's snores were the only noise in his chamber.

His head was resting against the wall, his fingers lazily combing through the hound's fur as Levi watched his non-human companion.

The moon shone directly into his window.

It was closed, due to the low temperatures at this time of the year and the only reason Levi wasn't pulling up his blankets was the dog sprawled out on them, yawning in her sleep.

A smile tugged at his lips.

He scratched her ears in slow motions.

Blood on the walls. On the ground. On the ceiling.

His movements stilled.

"You have the proof sticking to every wall in this room and yet you still doubt what I am telling you."

Izzy blinked, one eye open and directed at Levi, who was staring at some point in the distance.

The words of that servant brat wouldn't stop going round and round in his head.

Just like the pictures of that room.

Or the paleness in Faris' face as he looked over the old stuff with a calmness too perfect to be real.

Levi breathed through his mouth, hating the smell of blood still filling his nose as if he were still there.

Still standing in the middle of a child's room.
With stuffed toys littering the bed and small carriages and other playstuff lining the ground.

He continued driving his fingers through Izzy's fur and the animal closed her eyes once more, knocked out by the soothing and familiar touch.

And nothing to be found that could be helpful...
If only the king had told them...no. If any of Faris' words were true, the king would be the last person to admit or tell them anything about his second son.

If, and only if, Faris' words were true, the king couldn't possibly answer the question where had sent the boy.

Because then the prince's mother had been the one responsible for getting the Second Prince out and to safety.

How the fuck are we supposed to find the royal brat?

He frowned, staring up at the ceiling with his head tilted back until not a single strand of his dark hair was in his face anymore.

Some guards were patrolling in the hallways.
Levi hears the hard echoe of their shoes, the clinking of their weapons and the barks shouted to one another.

Other than that it was a quiet night.

Too quiet.

There should be something.

And if it was the moaning of one of the palace's inhabitants as they fucked a maid into their walls like it was the last time they'd ever get a good fuck again.

Nevermind that some of the maids would be all too happy to carry an illegitimate heir to one of those noble bastards. So there never was a lack of horny, hopeful girls waiting for a chance to escape their fate.

But there was nothing.

No moan.

No pounding.

No groan.

No scream.

No crying.

Nothing.

It was too quiet.