Chapter 75

Armin POV

It probably was a stupid idea.

All of it.

After leaving the library with Eren, his friend had asked him for some time to think. Armin didn't pressure him into telling him more. He knew that soon enough it would start. The actual revolution against Grisha's reign.

Until then Armin had a job to do. Gather as much intel as he could.

He self-consciously tugged at the few pieces of clothing he wore. They had drawn many unwanted attention on him but it couldn't be helped. Armin touched the bright-colored trousers he wore, wide around his thighs and narrow at his ankles with small jewels sewn into the fabric.

With a shiver his hands came up to the wide cut top in the same colors that showed just enough skin to be considered seductive. He had borrowed it from one of the servant girls he had often worked with. She had given it to him with a giggle after he had promised to take good care of it.

Eren...

This was for his brother.

He couldn't allow himself to have a heart when all of their lives were in danger.

Which was probably one of the reasons he was standing in front of this wooden door, beckoning him inside no matter how much he feared the person behind it.

Armin inhaled softly and closed his eyes, gathered all his strength. With shaking hands he tied his fair hair to a bun at the back of his head with only a few strands still falling into his face.

For the third time in probably ten minutes he raised his hand to knock. A part of him, the part that had been torn apart by rejection and hurt and pain, wanted to get him out of there. Bring him back into his small room.

But the rest of him knew exactly that this was what Eren needed him for. Grisha's soldiers were one of their greatest targets to convince that following Eren was the right choice.

Armin breathed in again, sucked enough air into his lungs and then finally knocked on the door, his heartbeat accelerating drastically when he heard a warm voice from inside telling him to come in.

His hands were trembling when he pulled the door open.

And with a soft noise he closed it behind himself.

No going back now.

- - -

"What can I do for you?"

Armin's breath got stuck in his throat and he swallowed hard.

Erwin hadn't looked up from his papers yet, still scribbling down notes that Armin couldn't read from his place near the door, his fingers clawing at the wood that was grounding him; keeping him from running away any given second.

The afternoon arrived shortly after Armin came to Erwin's room.

Strange music flowed inside through a slightly open window and the sunlight bathed the floor and the man sitting behind the table in an almost magical shine.

"I wanted to see you.", he whispered.

The words caught Erwin's attention. Armin saw the man's eyes widen when they took in his appearance and the tongue licking his lips.

"Armin." Erwin didn't say anything else and Armin begged the Gods above to keep the shame and guilt off his face. "What-"

Armin took a step forward and kissed his last chance to disappear goodbye.