Chapter 24

Armin POV

Hearing all those sounds of music and chattering and happiness and excitement Armin couldn't help but wonder about when he had last celebrated something.

Nothing...meaningful. Just celebrated.

Dancing. Laughing. Singing. Talking until the moonlight kissed them goodbye the next morning and the sun welcomed them with a promise of just a few nights more to be happy and carefree.

"We should have fun too.", he mumbled.

"What do you mean?" Mikasa walked around him to get some clean plates from the cabinet behind him. She had been on kitchen duty since she had gotten up in the morning. Armin on the other hand was busy with looking over some scripts in the library and saving some of them through writing down the long-forgotten words on them.

Hardly anyone acknowledged their importance nowadays. And yet their worth couldn't be measured in numbers. No price in this world could hold the same worth for Armin as knowledge.

He had gripped the edge of the parchment in his hands tighter when he thought about how knowledge could have changed the events in Shiganshina that day. There must have been something...something that could have saved them...

"Armin. You here with me?"

He blinked sluggishly, registering the voice of his friend like some far away call to consciousness.

"Yeah...I am. I'm sorry. Did you say something?"

She regarded him with a worried gaze, her forehead furrowed and on her mouth only the hint of a small, comforting smile.

"What do you mean with 'having fun'? Like...laughing?"

Armin sighed, putting away the knives he had nearly finished washing off in the sink he had spent a lot of time to clean. He wouldn't want to put Sasha at fault but...it was Sasha's fault. As much as he liked the girl with her everlasting grins and her love for food, she could be somewhat careless with the treatment she gave the kitchen utensils.

"More like...throwing a party. I guess.", he uttered, disregarding the knife in his hands. Pensively he watched the dirty water and soap slosh against the brim of the metal sink. "The nobles are all happy and...and why shouldn't we...I mean..."

"You're right."

Eren's somber voice got a grip on the bashfulness tugging and pulling at the boy. Both of them spun around and took the otherwise brunet boy in. The strands of his blond wig whipped up and down with every step and he pushed them back with an annoyed eye-roll.

Mikasa put the plates down, setting them on the table with a scratchy clang.

"Right with what?", she asked, putting one hand on her waist, her brow furrowed and her observant eyes never leaving her brother's form.

"The nobles are celebrating like they have never had any reason to before!", Eren shouted, throwing his hands into the air. A curious glint shone in his eyes who lost their hardness for a second. "Why shouldn't we do the same?"

He looked around them, taking in their surroundings and the absence of any servant normally standing around, helping each other with whatever tasks they had been assigned with.

"Where is everyone?"

"They had to make the last preparations for tomorrow.", Mikasa answered him, going on with her work. "They won't be here until tonight."

"Mikasa, hate to break it to you but sundown's already in an hour. It is tonight."

She looked up from the wooden table in front of her, where she had been playing around with the plates, sorting some of them out. Armin watched the way her tired eyes tried to widen but exhaustion and having been down there without an ounce of real sunlight had done it's part in making even such a simple movement hard for her.