Chapter 65

Eren POV

Hannes couldn't have gone to the palace by foot.

He knew better than to enter foreign territory without some kind of validation in case he needed to escape.

That's what Eren and Mikasa were counting on.

"If he didn't come here by foot, then the next possible way to move on that fast might be a horse.", Armin had told them with a frown wrinkling his face lit by the sun breaking through the window of their small room. "You should be able to find that horse."

Armin had described it as an easy job, giving Eren a feeling of calmness whenever he was so sure of something.

He grasped that calmness within his heart and held on to it as he and Mikasa made their first steps away from the wall.

Free for the first time in quite some time.
It might have been weeks.

It might have been months.

It was so stiffling that Eren had lost all sense of time confined in his old home.

"Over there." Mikasa pointed out some creature hidden in the shadows of a small forest, maybe as small as the palace itself. If a building like that could be considered small in any context.

The creature, while strongly resembling the horse they were looking for, had its head hanging low, barely moving in the dark of the night.

It was a wonder that neither the guards nor thieves had stolen the beautiful mare yet.
Eren rolled his shoulders while taking his sister's hand as to not lose her in the dark.
Not that she would leave his side for longer than a second.

Her eyes flickered over the elegant form of the animal.

"That must be the one.", she grumbled with several weary glances in all directions.
Eren slowly moved forward, his every step planned out. That's why he startled like a lightning had struck him when a branch underneath his foot cracked, the sound as loud as a cannon in the quiet of this late night.

The horse raised its head, looking their way while moving around nervously with its head shaking left and right.

Behind him Mikasa sucked a breath in.

The rain had stopped by now.

Had stopped already when they were on top of the wall, too enthralled in the sight of Eldia to notice the absence of the heavy raindrops and the feeling of wet hair against their scalps and cheeks.

"Hey, it's fine.", Eren murmured as he stalked across the grass, tickling his ankles softly as he continued to get closer to the horse.

It watched him wearily, making soft noises of interest as well as a warning.

Its fur was dark as the night, the head gently bowed and yet the horse looked like it was about to stomp them into the ground if they were to move any closer.

"It's fine...", he repeated. "We won't do you any harm."

He reached forward with his hand, holding his breath in with a beating heart.

But the horse only took some steps backward, neighing loudly.

"Eren.", Mikasa stressed from behind him and he gritted his teeth. The time was running.

Soon they'd have no choice but move on through the forest by foot.

It would take long.

Longer.

Too long.

Sweat stood on Eren's forehead and he inhaled the sharp air of the night, concentrating on the instincts within him.