Chapter 38

Erwin POV

"Marie, stay there!"

"I would like to see you try and keep me hidden here like some damn damsel in distress!", the woman hissed and she pulled at the fingers around her arm.

"There was some kind of creature just a moment ago, rising into the air! Doesn't this tell you that it is the safest to stay back here?", Erwin tried to reason with the stubborn redhead, her curly hair falling around her shoulders as it danced over her skin like fire.

"Let me go or risk your nuts, Erwin!", Marie snarled. Erwin knew better than to believe that there was a bad intent behind the threat.

"It could come back, Marie."

"It is the prince, Erwin.", she answered and was about to walk straight into the middle of the room when Erwin sighed in defeat.

"Fine. Fine. But please, Marie, if only for your own safety – wait here until I tell you we can-"

"Let him go!"

"Mikasa!"

Erwin spun around, his eyes finding the source of the terrified yell.

Armin...

The blond was fighting against the restraints some soldiers were putting around his hands, the king standing beside him with a satisfied smirk on his face.

"Erwin, what-"

"Not now, Marie. I...I have to go."

"Erwin..."

He didn't listen to any further word of her. He was already running towards the young servant.

- - -

Armin POV

The soldiers had him on the ground in a matter of seconds. He writhed underneath their grasps, a pained moan escaping his mouth. Mikasa fought against the grip one of the soldiers had on her arm but Armin knew that she held back.

If she wanted to, she could end their lives. Only her hate for unnecessary violence was keeping her from lashing out at the man who was standing as still as stone, not minding her struggling.

"Tell me, boy." Grisha raised his foot and before Armin could try to escape, he stepped onto his throat. Just enough to hurt him, to press the air out of his lungs and to make him gasp with the need to breathe. "Tell me how you know my son. What did you plan, insolent pack?"

"I...I don't..." He wanted to cough but the foot on his throat didn't allow for any movement. His hands were tied together, his feet held on the ground by some guard. "I don't...know him."

"Liar.", Grisha hissed and the weight on his throat was cutting off his ability to breathe. "My source told me that you and my son are connected to each other. Tell me and you might survive this."

"Armin!", Mikasa shouted.

He wanted to say something.

Do defend himself.

Black dots danced in front of his eyes and he closed them, not croaking another word. If Grisha was to kill him, he would have to do it without getting the boy to spill his friend's secrets.

"Your Majesty."

Armin blinked, straining his neck to see the man who had joined their little party, away from the main chaos in the room.

Blue, calculating eyes challenged the King in their own way.

"Your Majesty, I'm sure we can solve whatever problem you seem to have with this young man."

"No man.", the King snarled and shifted his weight just enough to draw another whimper of Armin. "A filthy servant who knows more about my son than he lets on."

In between the dark and white dots, Armin thought to see Erwin frown. He then gave in to his body's urge to close it's eyes. Mikasa's yell when he gave up every last bit of resistance hurt him in the depths of his heart.

"He doesn't know anything!", she shouted and he heard the rustling of clothes when she wriggled against those hands holding her. "Let him go! We are innocent!"

Tears threatened to stain his cheek and he softly whined his friend's name. She might have responded to it. She might have told him to stay awake. But...but he couldn't breath...and...

I am scared.

(Armin! Boy! I'm sorry!

A new chapter for you! Hope you liked it!)