Chapter 69

Eren POV

The guards shot forward as soon as the first word had left the Queen's mouth.

They disappeared into the dark night, chasing after whoever had been dumb enough to follow them.

Eren frowned at the endless trees that shielded them from the rest of the world. He shivered and put his arms around himself in an attempt to warm himself.
The wind picked up and brushed through the woods at a pace that would have sent Eren's teeth chattering if he were any less stubborn.

The Queen looked over to him, noticing what he was trying to do. She beckoned one of the two guards that had stayed with her over and whispered something into his ear.

Then she said with an interested gesture of her hand, her eyes meeting the prince's: "Please do tell me more about the events at your father's ceremony, Your Highness."

"What do you know?", he retorted and caught the Queen's amused smirk gliding over her lips.

"An information for an information. Very well." Her guard returned, something dark laying over his arms.

When she saw Eren's distrustful gaze wandering over the strange object, Historia explained while taking it from her guard: "I knew already that you are playing the simple servant in your father's presence so I didn't expect you to come here in anything but....well."

She smiled apologetically and Eren allowed his body to relax at the sight.

"The clothes of a servant.", he ended the sentence for her, not minding the ruckus her other guards caused in the forest. "It's impossible to escape the palace without looking like the nobody they would never notice."

She nodded in understanding.

"Of course. That's why I wanted my maid to get you something."

Eren chuckled darkly.

"A present? Bought loyalty is meaningless as you surely know, Your Majesty."

"Don't be so rash with your judgement.", she smirked and handed him what she held in her arms.

He took it with a suspicious face, eyeing the object warily and with an understandable amount of curiosity.

It was a coat.

Dark as the night with a collar high enough to hide a delicate throat.
Eren touched the material hesitatingly and found that he rather liked the way it firmly stood still under his touch.

It must reach down to his calves at least and he exhaled softly as his fingers danced across the fabric.

"It is..."

"Try it on.", the Queen urged him with a wink of her hand, seemingly satisfied with his reaction.
Instead of searching for meaningless words, he did as he was told and slipped his arms into the coat.

When he was done, he noticed a belt wrapped around the waist and with a hint of insecurity tightened it around his body.

The first thing he noticed was this...warmth.
It felt like the coat was made from something deep within himself. Like it was meant for him and him alone.

Breathlessly he glanced over to Mikasa, who nodded approvingly at him.

"It's perfect for you.", she said and he smiled thankfully. Then he turned around to face the grinning Queen.

"What is it made of?"

She put a finger on her lips and only shook her head.

"Some things aren't meant to be discovered, Your Highness. But I would hate for this bastard's son to look anything but the rightful heir to his throne." Her eyes wandered higher up to his scalp.