Chapter 90

Mikasa POV

Nothing had ever been as hard for Mikasa as listening to her brother's screams that seemed to split his throat and echoed through the tiny space of the stairway. But it scared her even more when they suddenly stopped and no sound could be heard anymore.

She rushed into the room, not caring if anyone was behind her or if she was leaving her friends unguarded. But as soon as she had pushed the door open, she froze right where she was.

Eren's eyes glowed.

Their brightness was deadly, dangerous and yelled at her to flee. To save herself. He was staring at his hands as if they had been ripped off and grown anew.

"Eren..."

Connie and Sasha were standing still with their mouths hanging open and sweat glistening on their foreheads. Sasha's fingers were shaking and all color had left Connie's face even though there hadn't been much color to begin with.

Smoke wobbled around her brother.

He let out a sigh and the sound was endearing, cold and passionate in its soft power. When he closed his eyes, Mikasa was sure that he might be aware of their presence but he wasn't with them. Not really.

"What happened?", she demanded to know and Connie wordlessly shook his head. Sasha wasn't even listening to her. Both of them focused on the small changes of her brother.

First there was a groan. Pained. Slow. Dark. Eren knelt on the ground and carefully traced it with his fingers, his eyes trained on something hidden from them.

"She hid this from me.", he gasped, astonishment and anger swimming in his eyes. His brows were knitted in concentration and he lowered his head, inhaling deeply. "She knew what I was capable of."

"Who?", Mikasa asked, her voice strangely timid but Eren was already back in his cocoon of smoke and power. She caught a glimpse of delight on his face when he exhaled. He moved his hands, tried to grasp something.

Mikasa couldn't help the wince of worry when she noticed his strange behavior. He acted as if he wasn't in the same room as them and then again, he did. Leaving them, coming back...an endless circle.

"We have to get him out of it somehow.", she said, sure that her brother didn't listen to her voice. He was too caught up with his newfound powers.

"Why?"

She didn't want to admit that she was purely acting on a gut feeling and wanted to lie to Connie, when Eren flinched and yelped in pain, eyes squeezed shut.

"Eren!"

She was by his side in an instant but got pushed away roughly by his hand. She gasped for air and tried to regain her footing. Eren didn't look in their direction.

"What should we do?", Sasha asked, her face scrunched up in worry and a hint of fear. "What's wrong with him?"

"Mikasa, you okay?", Connie asked and supported her by her elbow. She nodded, then turned to face her brother.

Glowing eyes, dark and filled with a color that reminded her of smoke, were directed at the ceiling, his mouth gaping open with small whimpers escaping him.

"Grandma..."

Mikasa grabbed one of Sasha's arrows, not caring whatever was going on with Eren and lunged forward, not listening to the shocked noises of her friends before she stabbed it's sharp point right into Eren's arm.

The prince cried out in pain but almost instantly, the color faded from his eyes. The smoke around him disappeared. All that was left was his curse and look of disbelief and confusion when he met Mikasa's eye, hand pressed against the bleeding wound on his arm.