Chapter 20

Eren POV

"So, where are you from again?"

"Some village on the border to Marley.", Armin answered the bald man with a cheerful smile, his hands relaxing on his thighs. The moustache over the man's amused smirking mouth twitched when those hawk-like eyes took their appearances in.

"You are quite the younglings, aren't ya?"

Eren swallowed, sweat dripping down his back. Mikasa nudged him in the side without being seen by the man who had welcomed them in after Armin knocked on one of the many doors in the palace. Eren had long forgotten that this room even existed.

"I must say I am impressed that you found the way back, Armin. But I'm glad that my talk about plants didn't throw you off.", the man who had introduced himself as Dot Pixis, gardener and the one responsible for sending out express letters or messages of all kind, chuckled.

"Quite the opposite. Your knowledge is impressive.", Armin waved off and tilted his head in the same innocent looking way as always. An angel in disguise. "I enjoyed our talk."

While the man conversed with his friend Eren took in the room's furniture.

There were a lot of owls and birds, as they had noticed right when they had stepped into the room. Their screeching and the sounds they were making distracted Eren from anything the man had been saying so far.

When he tilted his head back, he could see a small window, through which the animals were supposed to fly to bring their carriage wherever it was needed.

It might have been big enough for a little child at most.

"So, where is this little beauty ought to go?"

"Well...", Armin beat around the bush with restless hands, his eyes never staying on one thing for too long. "We only know where they are supposed to be but...we can't know for sure and maybe they aren't even there anymore. Will that pose a problem?"

"Not if you have something belonging to this person. Something she can bring in contact with them." He petted the stunning animal sitting next to him on a perch, making an eerie sound with it's long, sharp beak.

"What is that?", Eren asked, surprisingly fascinated by the animal's appearance. It had feathers, like every bird-like creature with eyes as small as needle heads and as black as charcoal, smoky and mysterious. The feathers itself were colored in a dark blue, resembling the color of a lagoon's cave walls.

Their eyes met and Eren found himself taken aback by the sheer beauty of the creature. His gaze went down only to be captured by the three claws it had on each small, bony foot. They were as black as it's eyes and Eren knew better than wanting to reach out to them when they reminded him of a predator's teeth.

"That's a midnightdancer.", Pixis answered him like a proud father showing off his child. "A rare descendant of the phoenix."

"The phoenix?"

Pixis nodded, his hand caressing the back of the midnightdancer's feathery head. It had a narrow forelock on the back of it's head, making it look as majestic as a peacock.

"They have lived long ago, so the old myths say." Mikasa stood propped up against the doorframe, her arms crossed and listened attentive to the old man, just like Armin who was leaning forward eagerly, sucking in every ounce of knowledge the man was spilling.

"Their plumage is said to be of great gorgeousness, their eyes able to see anything and anyone. No secret is safe from them and yet they are called the keepers of too many of them."