Chapter 67

Eren POV

The guards flanked their little group.

There couldn't be more than ten of them and even that small amount seemed to be too much in Eren's eyes.

He doubted that the Queen saw a genuine threat in him and Mikasa so he wondered why the Queen had taken all those guard with her.

Said Queen was walking next to him, her dress grazing the bushes beneath her ankles and taking leaves and dirt with every small step of the delicate woman.

"I am deeply sorry for what happened to Shiganshina."

Eren flinched, his mouth a thin line at the memories of burning houses and corpses lining the streets.

"What are you apologizing for, Your Majesty?", he asked as nonchalant as he could manage with his thumping heart. "It's not your fault after all."

She glanced at him, interest glittering in her eyes but not as much surprise as he would have expected there.

Historia turned her head away before he could read any more of the sincere remorse showing on her face.

"So you know the truth behind the attack."

It wasn't a question.

He huffed.

Mikasa strode behind them, her hands holding on to the reigns of her horse.

"Do you know who was behind this massacre?", she asked, her voice nothing but stern and cold.

They shared the pictures in their minds.
The picture of their dead mother.
Of her grave.

The picture of dirt beneath their nails after having to bury her with nothing but their hands.

"I fear not.", the Queen spoke, not minding Mikasa who snarled lowly when the woman didn't face her for even a second. "We have only been informed of the attack when Eldia's forces marched into our lands and accused me of starting a war between our kingdoms."

Her anger was restrained enough to stay off her face but the gritting of her teeth hint enough.

Eren watched an owl flying through the woods, the soft rustling of leaves and the hushed voices of the animals a sound he had missed a lot since their last night out in the woods.

Just like he missed Jean and Ymir.

"I would love to say that my father isn't smart enough to tell different forces apart.", Eren pondered with furrowed brows. "But sadly enough he is quite capable of using every situation in his favor."

"You mean, he knew that we weren't the ones at fault?", Historia hissed, annoyance and anger pushing through her facade.

Eren nodded pensively and crossed his arms behind his back while tilting his head back to observe the blanket of branches and leaves above his head.

"I can't say for certain."

"I don't care. If it is his own son's guess then I will trust your knowledge."

He made a disapproved noise with his tongue.

"He is no father of mine. But I sure know that he doesn't have a conscience and he had already been looking for an excuse to exterminate you and your people."

Historia was listening intently to his words just like her guards. Eren felt their gazes on him, especially the gaze of a smaller one, his eyes twitching nervously when Eren nodded gently at him.

Mikasa eyed the gesture wearily but didn't comment on it. Eren was thankful that she stayed behind so much and kept quiet although he knew she would have a lot to say as well.