Chapter 73

Eren POV

The paper of the books in his hands felt cold and unwelcoming.

Eren had never understood how his friend could be so fascinated with those old tomes. Out of the corner of his eye did he watch Armin caress the back of a book. Its cover was filled with stunning ornaments in the most beautiful colors that reached every corner of it.

"Did you find anything yet?", Eren asked quietly. Inside the library, surrounded by tons of books and old shelves he didn't dare to speak any louder. Somehow, he thought to break an ancient oath with the memories he had gathered inside here back then when he had still be living in the palace.

Back then when his brother had been the one to bring him here to secretly show him some basic moves with the big sword Eren had adored since being a toddler.

That's what they had been doing in between the dark shelves, hidden away from their father's intrusive gaze while the raindrops decorated the glass of the window and the golden shine of the few lit candles wrapped them up in a soft blanket of warmth and familiarity.

A smile tugged at Eren's lips when he thought of those evenings. When his mother had been busy and Zeke was there for him and him alone. Finally not on some stupid mission or talking to people Eren couldn't stand anyway.

Those rainy afternoons that proved to him that Zeke did care about his little brother.

But then again, he had also been the one to allow his father to attempt to kill him so who knew what was going on inside Zeke's head?

"Not yet.", Armin answered. His voice was also hushed as he put the book back on the shelve only to grab another one and open it right away with an excited glimmer in his eyes. "But there has to be something. A note, a single word, a small paragraph..."

The boy looked up and met Eren's gaze over the books.

Eren sighed and ruffled his hair. They had been here for a few hours maybe. The sun was shining through some smaller windows and lightened their way through the sheer endless lines of wooden shelves that smelled of papyrus and cinnamon.

He traced the lines on one of the shelf's boards and blew the dust off his finger.

"Maybe there is nothing to find after all.", he whispered.

"You can't give up yet.", Armin answered and bit his lip. "Your father seemed to know about whatever happened at the ceremony. Whatever happened to you, it must have happened before. And that in turn means that someone must have written it down."

"Or I'm just a freak."

Armin swallowed audibly but refrained from making any further comments as they heard the creaking of the giant door that marked the entrance to the library. Armin hastily dragged Eren behind one of the shelves, the book still in his arms as they crouched onto the floor.

Their bodies were tense as they waited for someone to show up. Eren heard Armin's tiny exhales as he grabbed the book harder and pressed it against his body while holding on to Eren, who didn't plan on going out there either way.

"How do we handle those strange occurrences?", a voice asked another person striding inside the library with confident steps.

Eren thought his heart might stand still for a second there.

Levi.

"We will have to discuss the matter with the king's advisors. The Second Prince is his son after all so any news regarding him are of great relevance for His Majesty."

Eren felt Armin flinch when Erwin's voice rang through the library.

"And you still sound as if you really believe that fucking shit.", Levi grunted. Their steps came to a halt, only a few meters away from their hiding place. Eren held his breath, careful not to reveal their positions.