Chapter 10

(ATTENTION: I updated the first chapters of this story daily so that you all have an idea of how the story is built. I will keep that up with every new story. Now I hope you have decided if you want to hear more about my story because I will change the schedule to updating weekly on Saturdays or Sundays or sometimes twice a week if I can manage to do so with my daily work.

Enjoy the story and do not hesitate to give me feedback of any kind!)

They buried her outside the village, near the woods where the earth was wet enough to dig a hole for her.

Letting down his mother felt like losing her just another time and it tore at Eren's tattered heart. Mikasa watched him without making any sound. Armin knelt next to her, hands on the ground and his eyes unbelieving and scared.

"Why...just why...", he muttered again and again, not daring to look away from what was playing out in front of him. Eren picked up the earth he had thrown next to the hole and poured the first handful back on the ruined skirt of his mother.

He thought he heard his heart crack. Tears streamed down his face but he stayed silent. No whimper or cry was heard. Not a sound that might show how much he was in pain.

"Eren...", he heard his sister's broken voice behind him. She knelt down beside him, taking a handful of earth herself and threw it with a sob on the corpse.

"Guys? Guys!" The scream sounded familiar. But Eren found he didn't have the strength to turn around. He wanted to keep looking at his mother. He owed her that much. She deserved a peaceful ending, accompanied by her children.

"Jean!", Armin exclaimed shakily and he heard rustling when the blond struggled to get up from the dirt around them.

The flames in the village had died down after some time.

The soldiers hadn't followed them.

"Where are the others?"

Jean's answer came a moment too late.

"They are dead, aren't they?" It was the first thing Eren had said since the words he had spit into the General's face.

"Not all of them. But...some didn't get out fast enough. The soldiers..." Jean's voice died off and Eren knew he had spotted the grave in front of them. And the person lying in it. "No...that's...Eren, how..."

Eren stayed silent. He was still chucking earth on his mother's lifeless body, watching the eyes they had closed for her. Her hands were folded over her lap and if she were anywhere else one would think she was sleeping.

"Is there anyone left of us?", Armin asked, a finished and tired edge tugging at his words. Shock and fear had done their job well in depriving them of any energy they had had left. He joined Eren and Mikasa in burying Carla, diamond-like tears in his eyes.

Eren wanted to send him a grateful smile. But even such a simple gesture was impossible to carry out; took too much strength.

The moon stood high above them by now and cast it's eerie light on the teenagers who were standing around the grave of a woman who had been one of the kindest and most loving people among all of those grumpy and sullen villagers.

"I don't know...I think Reiner got out? Berthold possibly too. They were together when the fire broke out."

"You mean when it was started.", Eren whispered and stopped for a second, his hand stilling over the pile of dirt by his side. "What about Ymir? Marco? Connie? What about all of the other ones? Sasha. Nifa. Franz. Hannah?"