Chapter 56

Levi POV

By the gods...

The first thing Levi saw was blood.

It was everywhere.

Spattered on the walls. On the ground. Some drops had even reached the ceiling as Levi noticed when he tilted his chin up a bit.

What the hell happened here...?

The soft shuffling of footsteps behind him reminded Levi of the second person standing inside this room that was the embodiment of every child's nightmare.

He had expected the servant boy – Faris – to cringe. To step back, to scream maybe. To give him a hint as to what he was thinking.

But when he turned around to face the young man, Faris didn't even flinch.

His eyes followed the red lines on the ground as if everything he saw was perfectly fine. Nothing out of the ordinary. Not even his face paled at what his eyes took in.

"What are we searching for?", Faris asked while walking further into the room, his arms hanging by his side as if there weren't any muscles left to hold them up anymore. His steps were calculated, finding the small spaces in between all those puddles of blood.

As if this wasn't the first time he had walked inside this room.

As if his legs knew every angle in here.

When the boy turned around to face him, his expression not giving away his emotions for once.

Levi cleared his throat, hands behind his back.

"Something to find the Second Prince. Eyebrows sure won't be picky about what the fuck we're giving him as long as it helps with the search for that brat."

Faris simply nodded and although he was apparently unfaced by the horrors inside this room, he wouldn't even raise his hands to so much as touch anything lying on the ground or on the small desk in the corner of the room.

It was old and a leg broken.

The chair behind it had been thrown away. It was lying somewhere else completely. And on the edge of the wood there was the same red substance as anywhere else.

Levi didn't want to look around.

He had faced worse shit than that back then when Eyebrows hadn't been there to help him out yet. Hadn't gotten him out of the darkness the homelessness was offering him.

But to know that all that blood...to know who it's original owner was...

"How the fuck was the brat able to survive?", Levi voiced one of the thousand questions on his mind out loud, his eyes narrowed and his heartbeat a bit more accelerated than usual.

"Barely."

Faris' voice was cold.

Hard.

Full of empty emotions.

"What do you mean?" Levi stayed where he was, giving the brat his space.

This brat can't know more about what happened back then than anyone else. But maybe he isn't as unfaced as he appears to be.

Faris curled his fingers into fists, staring at one of the many bloody spots on the ground, the color ugly and dark against the floor. His dark eyes were concentrated on it as if he could remove it with the sheer power of his will.

"He barely made it out of the palace that night.", the servant rasped, not looking in Levi's direction. Levi wasn't even sure if Faris was talking to him at all or if he was simply stating the words his head provided.