Chapter 97

Eren POV

Soon enough the massacre of Dauper was the main topic of Eldia. Its citizens held their breaths, dreading the expected, violent answer of Queen Historia. But after two weeks of nothing but deadly silence in all of Marley, the people became restless.

Everyone was sitting on burning charcoals. The servants of the royal palace suffered from the almost ongoing assaults of its inhabitants and infrequent visitors. The king didn't answer the rising questions concerning Dauper and kept his Generals and Commander Smith far away from anyone who might have unwanted questions.

Eren suspected that was the reason why he hadn't seen General Levi anywhere in the days since their fight. Not that he cared, mind you. The man's words still rang in his ears and he flinched whenever he thought to hear the sharp voice.

Hence, he was quite unconcentrated and earned himself a few kicks to the side when he stared at nothing and some royal asshole came by. But he wasn't the only one who's mind drifted to foreign places from time to time.

Armin had gone almost completely silent, safe for a few words in the morning or whenever talking was a necessity. He ate only when Mikasa or Eren forced him to and in the night Eren woke a few times to muffled crying. No matter how many times he offered his shoulder, Armin kept to himself.

When his best friend's cheeks started to lose the last bit of fat and he looked more and more like the unhealthy version of the boy Eren considered a brother, Eren knew that he had to do something.

That's why he left the palace on this sunny afternoon. It was freezing cold and Eren wanted nothing more but to dress in the fine, black coat he had in the back of his closet. But how the hell would he explain its pure existence in the hands of a mere servant?

The gardens were beautiful around this time of the year and Eren smiled softly at the memories of running all around the place with Zeke as his only guard; protecting him. Snow adorned the bushes and blueish ice accompanied the stony pathways.

Eren inhaled deeply when he caught sight of the figure he had meant to seek out. Not that tall with raven black hair and weary eyes concentrated on the giant beast, Levi hadn't yet noticed his arrival and gave Eren some time to gather his inner strength and willpower.

The stubborn part of himself wanted to stay away from the man. But the worry about his friend kept him going, arms wrapped around his body in an attempt to keep himself a little bit warm. He only wore a long-sleeved shirt, black in color and the material thin. With goosebumps all over his skin and a running nose he sent Izzy a short-lived smile that died on his lips when the dog barked in excitement.

Levi's silver eyes flickered over him and his mouth became a straight line, the typical scowl on his hard face.

"Didn't think to see you anytime soon."

"Share the sentiment."

Izzy ran up to Eren, rubbing her nose into his hand and he knelt on the ground to properly scratch her ears while using the chance to avoid the General's gaze. None of them started the conversation anew and a tense bond formed between them.

Then Levi sighed and rubbed his neck.

"Fuck this. Izzy needs to run."

Eren blinked at him and nodded with a half-hearted smile. The guards let them pass the gates of the walls without comment. Outside the snow was high enough to touch their ankles and the red sun flickered over the white crystals. Izzy whimpered and Levi gave her the sign to go off.

The beast was gone for good and disappeared in the snow, leaving Eren and Levi behind. Eren brushed his feet against the ground, enjoying the sound of snow crunching beneath his weight. Levi was watching him. He felt the heavy gaze of the General on his back.