Chapter 23

Eren POV

The week went by like it had only been a day since the preparations for the ceremony had started.

The servants were just as excited and restless as the noble part of the palace. The soldiers gathered around it, protecting everything with their attentive glances and the weapons on their hips.

Music flooded the halls, instruments in tune with the upbeat mood that filled every room, every conversation and made it hard for Eren to worry about everything going on around them.

"I wonder if we will get to see the generals in the same attire as the rest of the nobles.", Armin wondered, snickering at the mental of image of those serious and correct men – with the exception of Hanji – in the hilarious costumes of the upper class.

Eren laughed quietly, wiping the sweat off his temples.

The green shirt he wore, sleeves short enough to show his tan forearms, stuck to his skin and his brown leggings, dirty and holed.

On days like this he often missed the necklace of his mother. Seeing the silvery feather on his chest would have helped with the sick feeling in his stomach whenever he was reminded of the reason for the preparations.

"Get out of the way, scum."

A shoe connected with Eren's ribs.

His laugh broke off and he got pushed on the floor, suppressing the pained hiss that wanted to escape his mouth.

"Faris!", he heard Armin yell and in a second his friend was by his side, helping him on his knees. Eren glared daggers at the two men towering over them, with ugly grins on their stupid faces.

Nobles of Eldia.

They often strode through the palace, most times ignoring the servants they passed and not a single one complained about that.

"Make way for someone worthy.", the taller one of them spat, his blond hair greasy and a strange smell came from him. Eren turned up his nose in disgust, sitting up and checked without letting one of them notice if his blond wig was still in place, hiding his brown locks that had gotten much longer than he had ever intended them on getting.

"What the fuck is your problem?", Eren snarled, ignoring the need to lay a hand on his ribcage to see if that ugly shoe had left any damage.

"Who do you think you are talking to, scum?" The man raised his foot another time, preparing to kick him again when suddenly Armin came into view, bowing to those pigs with his head hung low and his fists in his lap.

The boy gritted his teeth, closing his eyes like that would be enough to make them disappear.

"I am sorry, my lords. My friend didn't mean to get in the way! I apologize in his stead."

"Armin, what the f-"

The boy merely turned his head far enough so Eren could see the firm look in his eyes.

Don't say a word, they silently told him.

He swallowed, feeling anger welling up inside him again. His fists were clenched, his lips pressed together tightly.

Every cell in his body told him that he should show them what he was capable of. To show them just who they were talking to.

But then he remembered Shiganshina.

He remembered his mother.

His friends.

And finally – his plan.

He lowered his head.

"Excuse my obstreperous words." If one would be able to get hurt by spilled lies – the world would erupt in screams of anguish every few seconds. As for now Eren was glad that that was not the case.

The nobles snorted derogatory.

"Whatever. Scum."

They headed their way, not waiting for Armin to stand up or for Eren to raise his head. Because if they had demanded to see his face – they would only have seen the vindictive smirk on his lips. 

(What could Eren have in mind? And probs for Armin remembering to call Eren by his fake name. I for my part wouldn't have been fast enough to think of that small detail.

Sorry, this time it really is a short chapter. I will make it up to you.)