Chapter 37

Mikasa POV

She watched Eren.

Quietly.

Not making a sound.

Those wings...she...she had seen them before.

Not in the graceful and mighty way she saw them now, noticed their beauty and the protective way in which they curled around her brother's body.

But in the shadows of the young man when he thought no one was looking. In the way he walked proudly and featherlight over the ground.

The soldiers were screaming and some of them even running out of the room, abandoning their weapons on the ground with curses and screeches like the cowards they are.

"Mikasa! Mikasa!" Armin's voice echoed through the chaos and Mikasa turned around to see the blond running up to her, his brows drawn together in confusion and worry. She caught him partly in her arms and dragged him back to the wall, away from the danger her brother was currently representing.

"We have to do something!", Armin shouted with fear dancing in his blue orbs. "We have to-"

"We have to stay out of it.", Mikasa said, her voice not tolerating any resistance. Armin's lips were shaking, as were his hands and Mikasa sighed softly, her eyes wandering over to the young man that was standing in the middle of the hall, waiting.

Waiting for what?

"Armin, I want to help him, too.", she whispered and grabbed his shoulders, forcing him with her hands to look into her eyes. If he couldn't suppress his fear then Mikasa would do it for the both of them. "But you told me yourself, remember? We have to stay out of whatever is bound to happen."

Armin swallowed unhappily, allowing Mikasa to get them further into the back of the room when two pair of hands startled them. They were grabbed by their shoulders and thrown back until they hit the wall with a muffled noise.

She ignored the pain spreading through her back. Armin whimpered softly, his emotions getting the better of him.

"They were talking about the bastard.", the unsteady voice of a soldier was heard and Mikasa opened her eyes, blinded by the headaches that came back with a flash before her eyes. "Those two must be the ones who got him in!"

"I see."

Her blood ran cold when she recognized the cold and hard voice. Every nerve in her body told her to fight back. To say something, to defend them. But her past had taught her that staying quiet sometimes wasn't the worst of all solutions.

So she knelt on the ground, her hand around Armin's trembling fingers. The boy was looking up at the king who stared them down like the little rats he thought them to be.

"Kill that disgusting creature over there.", the man said, not even looking up from them. His words got Mikasa to raise her head in worry, her eyes flying over to her brother. A second later she felt the stung on her cheek with something akin to surprise.

The king's hand was still raised, amusement glinting in the monster's eyes.

"Now, now. We wouldn't want you to concentrate on that bastard of a son.", he growled softly, leaning forward a bit. Mikasa shrunk back, dragging Armin with her. She hated to be so submissive. But they couldn't defend themselves.

Eren had a plan.

And whatever it contained – she surely shouldn't be the one to decapitate his father. Eren would like that privilege for himself, of that she was sure. She raised her head in anger, remembering some of the stories Eren had told her in the quiet of the night.

Rot in hell, bastard.

Just when she was about to say those words aloud, the sound of shattering glass disturbed the atmosphere in the room. It rained down on them, meeting the faces of some and landed on the ground with a sharp clink.

Mikasa dared to look over to where Eren had been standing a second ago.

He was gone.

The window of the ceiling destroyed and the darkness of the night bathed them in the eerie light of the moon. If she concentrated enough, she would surely be able to see her brother up in the sky, spreading those beautiful wings of his.

A small smile appeared on her face.

She had known he had been waiting for something.

And looking back at his father she knew exactly for what.

For them to be a distraction. 

(A little bit more of Mikasa. Sorry the chapters are still that short. 

So what do you think about Eren? What could have happened? What will the King do now that his son is officially his enemy?)